Open Vs. Full Foot Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can not beat open heel with spring straps -too bad springs seen to be always after market.

I prefer full foots every time for snorkelling, and not just for warm water or sandy beaches. It's quite possible, if you get them in the right size, to wear protective footwear with them. And if there's any danger of them falling off, then fin grips can be purchased, straps that fit over the heel and instep when wearing full foot fins.

When I started diving in England the 1960s, full-foots were the fins of choice, while open-heels were widely regarded as being for those who couldn't afford full-foots. It's a little known fact that when Beuchat came up with jet fins during the 1960s, they produced them as full-foot fins. It was the American Scubapro company which decided to manufacture them in an open heel design, maybe in part due to the greater popularity of open heel fins in the USA compared to Europe. Full foot fins were invented in Europe, by Cressi in Italy.

Having given my reasons for preferring full foot fins, I wouldn't try and influence anybody else's choice of fins, as they are very personal bits of gear. I do believe, though, we ourselves are strongly influenced by the gear we used when we first learned to dive. Maybe that's why I enjoy snorkelling with vintage gear so much.

I have both. Full foot for travel and warm diving (Atomic splits) and Open for Cold water local diving (Apollo Bios). Have the right tool for the job. I really think this whole thing is just personal preference. I used paddles for years and said all of this split fin stuff was for the birds until I received a VERY NICE christmas gift of a Pair of Apollo Bios about 4 years ago. Since then i swear by the splits. The main reason for the full foot splits for travel is they are MUCH lighter and I don't need any stinking boots that never dry on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom