Open or closed heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So smart choices for a begging diver might be.

Mares X3 50$
Mares Avanti Superchannel 70$
Oceanic Viper 80$
ScubaPro Jet Fins 80$

what are thoughts of this list? Thoughts of for a man vs. his wife?
Is the viper lighter and easier for ladies?

Earl

It's a great list to select from but has nothing to do with being a beginner or a scuba veteran. Like I said, I dove ScubaPro Seawings (anyone remember them), ScubaPro twin jets, and now the Fullfoot Superchannels. The Superchannel performs as well as the other two, weighs less, and costs less. (I have also tried many other brands)

Buying the Mares Superchannel ( I think for $59 at Leisurepro ) isn't just a smart choice for a beginning diver, it's a smart choice for any diver. :)

If we go open heel do you all automatically swap out the straps for springs? Are the springs universal or are they brand specific?
Earl

I put the Mares spring straps on mine and it was the best 70.00 investment I think I've made. I know there are cheaper universal ones out there but I didn't want to deal with them not fitting right and I figured the Mares springs should fit the Mares fins without a problem :)

So spring straps cost almost as much as the fins I am looking at.... Hum making the price of high end fins with Springs straps included seem more reasonable...

So spring straps cost almost as much as the fins I am looking at.... Hum making the price of high end fins with Springs straps included seem more reasonable...
I would certainly look at fins that have them included when making your decision. I didn't know anything about them when I bought mine - just got what the shop had available before my OW class. I love my Mares Raptors and I am sure I could have found cheaper spring straps - I just didn't want to deal with them not fitting right and am not creative enough to make my own. I've seen postings that tell how to make spring straps so you might search to see what's available here or on ScubaToys forum. I know there's cheaper ways to do it - I was just being lazy :)

The evaluations were interesting but they never discuss fit for narrow or wide feet. My wife is 11AAA and I an a 13D. Which fins would fit?
DP

The evaluations were interesting but they never discuss fit for narrow or wide feet. My wife is 11AAA and I an a 13D. Which fins would fit?
DP

You make a very good point. A thread on the DeeperBlue Freediving Forum has attempted to conduct a survey of fin pocket sizing:

official - fin sizing thread - please add your info - DeeperBlue Forums

Be aware, though, that the freedivers who responded restricted their range of fin models to the long-bladed full-foot fins associated with their pursuit.

Perhaps we need to create a similar fin-sizing thread for other types of fins right here on ScubaBoard. My own feet are not only long (size EU46, US12, UK11) but also relatively broad-fitting. I have high arches too: feet are three-dimensional! Over the years I've found the full-foot rubber fins I prefer for snorkelling by trial and error. My current favourites, a pair of Mexican-made Escualo Clasicas bought "blind" online, precisely accommodate my foot dimensions lengthwise, widthwise and height-wise. Of course it would be better to try fins on for size, bootie-clad or barefoot, in the local dive store, but that's not always possible, particularly if your store, like mine, doesn't stock the fins of choice.

Historically, fins have been sized in ranges of sizes, e.g. US9-11, rather than single sizes. One exception was a fin manufactured by Cressi in the early 1970s, which came in single sizes. The Italian company Cressi also made around the same time an "anatomic" pair of fins, one with a foot pocket designed for the left foot, the other for the right foot, in the same way as ordinary shoes are made. Neither model survives to the present day, no doubt because of the economics of making and stocking such fins.

The German National Standard DIN 7876 of October 1980, "Tauch-Zubehoer Schwimmflossen: Masse, Anforderungen und Pruefung" (Official translation: Diving accessories for skin divers; Flippers, dimensions, requirements and testing), focuses on sizing. It contains a table stating which foot width should go with which foot length. The problem is that a range of foot widths is permitted. For example, a fin accommodating a foot length of 250 mm would, in the case of full-foot fins, accommodate a foot width of 95 to 105 mm. In the case of open-heel fins, the same foot length would be matched with a foot width of 100-110 mm, a 40 mm range of strap adjustability, a minimum of 147 mm from toe to entry point at the top of the foot pocket and a minimum of 192 mm from toe to entry point at the bottom of the foot pocket. You may find fins stamped "DIN 7876" conforming to these dimensions, but not many do. Very few are even as helpfully labelled as Japanese-made Gull Mew and Apollo Bio fins, which state on the bottom what sizes they accommodate whether booted or barefoot.

The Malaysian National Standard MS 974 of 2002, "Specification for Rubber Swimming Fins", prescribes the same fitting dimensions as the German National Standard DIN 7876.

Would anybody else be interested in contributing to a thread similar to DeeperBlue's about fin sizing, where everybody posted their experience of the roominess or otherwise of the foot pocket of a given fin of a certain size?

Full footpocket fins are like masks. They have to be tried on for fit and comfort. Preferably with a neoprene sock.

I use Mares, Apollo, Picasso, and Waterways foot pockets.

Neither do properly configured open-heel fins...

:D

62.300.008-2.jpg

Who made these springs?

Back
Top Bottom