Open-Heel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I use free dive fins while diving in current-rich SE Asia. On occasion I just grab a pair of used rental fins. The well-used rental fins work fine, even back finning. What is the rush anyway?

Full-foot fins are good for warm water. Sizes and fit vary so they must be tried on.

Open-heel fins are good for warm water, cold water, or anything in between as you can adjust the straps to fit your exposure protection. They are also easier don and doff. I wear the same fins with my light 3 mil booties or thicker boots, as the straps and foot pocket are ample.

Last edited:
On any fin thread I just have to add--get spring straps right when you buy fins and try them on with your boots.

booties are good if you have to walk to the dive site....some are like shoes.

a nice compromise is to use 0.5 mm neoprene socks. I do this in warm water as it's pretty close to having nothing on your foot, but it cuts down on the rubbing and is more comfortable.

Curious, what is the theory behind an open heel fin for bare feet ? Maybe for a dive shops rental and selling stock to keep inventory low, but other than that ?

Back
Top Bottom