Open-Heel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you have to wear boots or booties with open-heeled fins? I have only ever been diving with full-foot fins, but I am considering purchasing open-heeled fins.

Yes, today they are designed for wetsuit and drysuit boots. In the early days, divers might use an open heel fin with a rubber strap designed for a bare foot, but that was back in the Sea Hunt era.

Today, those duck fin styles are usually only used for body boarding and swim team practice.

There are a couple of manufacturers that make "open heel strap" fins that can be worn without boots, Aqua Lung and Scubapro make this type of fins for the traveling diver. In general and in the greater majority of the time, you do have to wear boots with the open heel strap fins however.

There are a couple of manufacturers that make "open heel strap" fins that can be worn without boots ...

Did not know that and what a heck of a time trying to find them on Google! You might be able to find Bill Gate's credit card number easier! :)

aqua lung hotshots don't need booties

I wore a pair of open heeled fins in Panama without boots. The fins were smaller in size than my usual ones (I found them somewhere....). I wore socks and it was fine, as speed was not a concern. My full foot fins (that I used to use for snorkeling) rubbed on my ankles, so I wore socks then too.

Did not know that and what a heck of a time trying to find them on Google! You might be able to find Bill Gate's credit card number easier! :)

I think the far more interesting exercise is figuring out if the size chart for a given fin is for hard sole or a soft boot or a bare foot and you need to go one larger... all without having to send 'em back and pay the return shipping and "restocking" fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom