Oopsie - MEBT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, lots of people get tricked by that stuff. It's unfortunate.

She said she had to show ID to purchase, which would not apply to the med she photographed, so that threw me off at first.

Lotta doctors in this thread. I only recognise one.

I am baffled about the Cozumel doctor telling you that taking Pseudoephedrine was counterproductive.
Just spitballing, but I believe pseudoephedrine has a rebound effect--if you take it for a while and stop, the congestion can be worse than before you started. It's possible that's what the doctor was referring to. Or maybe there was a miscommunication, or he was just wrong. In any case, I personally feel comfortable using Sudafed before diving, but I would be a little worried if I had to take it every day over the course of a long dive trip.

Just spitballing, but I believe pseudoephedrine has a rebound effect--if you take it for a while and stop, the congestion can be worse than before you started. It's possible that's what the doctor was referring to. Or maybe there was a miscommunication, or he was just wrong. In any case, I personally feel comfortable using Sudafed before diving, but I would be a little worried if I had to take it every day over the course of a long dive trip.
Well, she wasn't taking pseudoephedrine.

I don't know why you might worry. I've been taking it for decades, but everyone is different.

Hi,
I am not a doctor, but I have gotten vertigo on ascent. Definitely talk to DAN is the first thing. They were able to give me a referral to an ENT. In my particular case, he said my ears were fine, no sign of barotrauma. His advice was to basically make it easy on my body. Get as fit as I could be, and before diving, hydrate, plenty of rest, no alcohol, and the best anti-seasickness medication you can get. For me it's the prescription scoplamine patch plus meclizine.

I would go back and review your open water materials, they cover decongestants and why it can be dangerous to use them. If a DAN-referred doctor says they're OK, then that's different. I definitely get a rebound affect from pseudoephedrine (the real stuff), among other things.

Underwater vertigo can be quite serious. It is possible (I've read) to breathe off a reg while throwing up, think about that if you do decide to dive again, to be in the correct mindset if it happens. Hope you get good news from the doctor and have good experiences diving.

Back
Top Bottom