OOA/Safety Stop Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fortunately I have never been in this situation, but have always wondered how to handle something like:

Two divers diving in a buddy pair, one signals OOA to the other. The diver with air donates his octo (or primary, but it doesn't matter) to the OOA diver, and they begin to ascend once the OOA diver is calm enough to do so.

The diver with air has enough remaining gas for both divers to make a safety stop. Should one be made, or should both divers head for the surface?

I was taught to reserve enough gas to enable two divers sharing gas to ascend in the normal manner, which would include a safety stop on a dive on which that was planned.

Sure why not. However the multiple OOA divers I have witnessed over decades of diving. They are in a panic mode and want to get to the surface at all costs as quickly as they can. The last time was at CoCo View. I was just hanging out at 15 feet with 1,500 psi on the chain when I saw two divers hauling a$$ from the Prince Albert. As they got closer, I noticed they were sharing air via octo. Both swam 2 feet over the top of me without stopping. Within 20 seconds they were both out of air. They continued to haul a$$ towards shore when all they had to do was stand up. They were in chest deep water. My experience is if one diver in a buddy team is out of air, the other one is usually really low on air.

It all depends on gas remaining (and how you conduct your dive planning, whether you follow min gas, and if you include a safety stop for those values).
This might interest you:

Fortunately I have never been in this situation, but have always wondered how to handle something like:

Two divers diving in a buddy pair, one signals OOA to the other. The diver with air donates his octo (or primary, but it doesn't matter) to the OOA diver, and they begin to ascend once the OOA diver is calm enough to do so.

The diver with air has enough remaining gas for both divers to make a safety stop. Should one be made, or should both divers head for the surface?
If you have enough air, and the "emergency" is over, do the stop. We teach students to do the stop, if you can safely do it. But, keep in mind that your ascent rate is much more important. Safety stops are conducted out of an abundance of caution for most recreational diving scenarios, so everyone does them. Rapid ascents can physically hurt you and your buddy. Make a slow ascent, and if time/air permits, do the stop. If you have to choose between the two, plan on missing the stop. In other words, don't; race to 15 ft. so you have enough air/time for the stop. :)

But, keep in mind that your ascent rate is much more important.
Yes, agree 100%. And given that some (if not most) OOA situations involve panic, ascending slowly/safely can be a challenge.

If you have enough air, and the "emergency" is over, do the stop. We teach students to do the stop, if you can safely do it. But, keep in mind that your ascent rate is much more important. Safety stops are conducted out of an abundance of caution for most recreational diving scenarios, so everyone does them. Rapid ascents can physically hurt you and your buddy. Make a slow ascent, and if time/air permits, do the stop. If you have to choose between the two, plan on missing the stop. In other words, don't; race to 15 ft. so you have enough air/time for the stop. :)
I try to work through this scenario when teaching open water. Makes for an interesting discussion.
Totally agree, rate of ascent is the important factor. Safety stops are not mandatory, do one, even a short one if possible but rate of ascent is more crucial in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom