OOA + Gear Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjhill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This happened just last week while I was in Cozumel and thought I would post it to hopefully encourage some people to learn from the mistakes I witnessed.

There was a group of us diving Columbia Deep on Wednesday of last week. The group consisted of 3 buddy teams (one of which was me and my buddy) and the DM. As standard procedure we all got the dive briefing before the dive that as soon as one person in the buddy team reached 700 psi in the tank to signal the DM and that buddy team would be asked to surface, making their safety stop while the rest of the group remained below to finish their dive.

So we all jumped in and enjoyed the first parts of the dive. We hit a max depth of 96 feet. At about 20 minutes into the dive I noticed one buddy team approach the DM, signal low on air and that they were surfacing. The DM reminded them about the 3 minutes safety stop, they acknowledged and then left the group. At the time I thought nothing of this thinking that one member of the pair had just reached 700 psi.

We continued our dive and finished about 25 minutes later. To my surprise when I got back to the boat we noticed the buddy team that left earlier was breathing from the DAN O2 units on board.

Later in the day my buddy and I talked to them and found out what happened. First of all when they signaled the DM the one member of the buddy pair was down to 300 psi, not the 700 psi as told in the briefing. The member who was down to 300 at that point soon after ran out of air totally before making it to the safety stop. No big deal he figured. His wife still had plenty of air on her tank, so he grabs her octopus only to find it wasn't working and giving him no air. So now he is at 20 feet approximately with no air and his wife's malfunctioning Octopus in his mouth. He bolts for the surface, dragging his wife with him.

They got lucky. They got on O2 right away and were monitored closely. Neither felt any pains. They obviously sat out the second dive.

Lessons to be learned from this are obvious. The first is the one I want to emphasize the most. I saw more than once on that trip people breath through the 700 psi limit down to 500 psi or less before alerting the DM and calling the dive. Perhaps they are embarrassed and don't want to ruin the dive for others by calling it early. I think I speak for everyone when I say I would much rather call a dive early because someone was low on air then have a real emergency happen because someone was too timid to call the dive when they needed to.

The second mistake is that the couple never checked their octopus before the dive. This also baffled me. How can anyone not just take a quick breath or two on their octopus before diving to ensure that it is giving air on demand?

In this case everything turned out alright, but these types of incidents should never happen. It could have very easily been a lot worse.

It could have been worse. It does make you wonder about the other team's training.

They were below 80' with 300 psi? Diving aluminum 80 cubic foot tanks?

I'm not sure that I buy the husband's story that the Octo provided him with absolutely no air. Were they using rental gear?

It sounds like it was not a conservative dive plan.

It could have been worse. It does make you wonder about the other team's training.

They were below 80' with 300 psi? Diving aluminum 80 cubic foot tanks?

I'm not sure that I buy the husband's story that the Octo provided him with absolutely no air. Were they using rental gear?

It sounds like it was not a conservative dive plan.

I think actually at the time they alerted the DM and left the group was probably around 65 feet. It was after the deeper part of the dive where we did a swim through that began at 96 feet. So they were not below 80' with 300 psi but more likely around 65'. Although that is not really much better. He should have called the dive and headed up way earlier. I think it may have been part of their plan for him to use her tank for the last part of the dive as they were explaining it to us. It seemed totally normal for them that he used way more air then she did and frequently both used her tank to extend their dives.

They were not using rental gear. It was their own regulator and they said they had it serviced relatively recently. The DM did pull it apart and found something wrong with it that was probably put back together wrong when it was serviced. At any rate I was surprised that they did not check to verify the regulator was giving air before getting off the boat.

Multiple mistakes that could have gotten a worse result.

Calling a dive from depth at 700psi is just stupid (but done all the time I know). To be finishing up my safety stop at 700psi would be a bit better but no matter what, if one diver chooses to ignore the dive plan, then they truly endanger every other diver. If you can't listen and be a responsible diver, then dive solo away from anybody else. That way you can die alone and let everyone else enjoy their diving.

Last edited:
Mistake 3, not knowing how (or not doing) buddy breathing, folks it's not that hard, learn to do it.

I agree with Steve AD, cascading failure.

Something we could take away from the airline industry's investigations of accidents is that a single failure doesn't usually cause catestrophic results. Mostly it's when that failure is preceeded by other failures, either known or unknown.

With recently serviced gear, a function check is ALWAYS in order - even if it's putting it on a tank and taking a few pulls on it (I know - but that's the LEAST I can think of - I do much more myself).

Next, not monitoring your air during the dive. No one should dive so passively that they expect the buddy or DM to thumb the dive rather than monitoring their air. An all too common sight these days.

Next, not assessing the situation during the event to note what options exist. This was noted in the question above about why not buddy breathing?

Finally, panic. This diver lost control of the situation. Even given everything else, once you drag your buddy to the surface by their octo, I will safely bet on the fact that this diver was losing composure and awareness. I don't ever remember me, any instructors I've trained, nor any other instructor ever teaching a CESA with another diver in tow via their octo (although that has some grins factor in it for a future IDC problem).

This was just a quick review given limited input, so I can only comment on what was known. any further input will obviously color this response.

Bottom line - divers can't afford to passively allow others to ensure their safety. In maintaining their gear, preparing themselves, or conducting the dive.

Glad to hear that nothing permanent resulted, beyond a bruised ego and maybe a lesson learned.

Mistake 3, not knowing how (or not doing) buddy breathing, folks it's not that hard, learn to do it.

Actually I would call that a solution to the wrong problem and given the way it was handled wouldn't be my first bit of advice.

To me it looks like we have here:

1) failure to do a buddy check, not the fact that the octopus wasn't working.
2) failure to follow the dive plan, not the fact that he ran out of air.
3) failure to either have the insight, or to apply it, regarding minimal safe tank pressures from ascending from various depths. (in other words not knowing the first thing about gas management/planning).

The first two point above point to laziness. The last point is more likely a question of inexperience and/or incomplete training. That's how I would read it just based on what the OP wrote.

They're lucky nothing more serious happened and I hope they reflect on what they did wrong and how they can avoid that in the future.

R..

I I think it may have been part of their plan for him to use her tank for the last part of the dive as they were explaining it to us. It seemed totally normal for them that he used way more air then she did and frequently both used her tank to extend their dives.

I don't want to be cruel, but if that is true then these people might get a Darwin Award someday.

Back
Top Bottom