OOA at 90 FFW...well kinda!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
It's why some people don't do the 1/4 turn back. It's either all the way on, or all the way off.

BTW, I still do the 1/4 turn.

Glad you're OK and learned something out of this. This is also another reason that it's a good idea to be able to reach your valve(s).
We've seen this story told many time here, and I saw it happen in the Belize Blue Hole once to a lady headed to 150 ft. Deck hand turned it off. Even my home bud who turns screw drivers every day turned my off on the last trip.

But we go for all the way - screw that 1/4 turn idea, and I knew what he'd done in one breath.

I was diving off of Cozumel the other day. Crew was checking my valves as I got ready to go in, turning back 1/4 turn. I just opened it all the way in the water each time.

Do I care if a valve ever sticks? Not as much as I care about these stories, and test breathing at the surface does not prove anything.

biscuit7:
Mike, I've found that a cracked valve on the surface will show a needle fluctuation on the SPG so it is possible to see it before I splash.

R

That's just it. All that tells you is that the valve/reg is able to meet the present demand at 1 ATA. A partially open valve may NOT cause the needle to bounce on the surface. It depends how open it is. At depth where a breath is a much greater volume, the valve may not be able to deliver that flow rate and then the needle bounces or worse. I've seen it and I'm pretty sure if you look around on the board here you'll find other reports of it (I think there was one not too long ago).

Reaching back and checking the valve tells you it's position with absolute certainty.

Fair enough.

Obviously checking by hand is the most accurate way to determine the valve position and that along with the breath/look right before the splash should catch all errors.

R

Web Monkey:
Some valves stick open. The 1/4 turn thing keeps this from happening. However, sticking is really an indication that the valve needs service, not special handling.

Terry

Thanks for responding to my question. Travelling now, so I didn't get a chance to follow up on this thread until now.

After returning I will also run this by all the instructors at the shop I frequent as it sounds like I will be changing from open - 1/4 turn to simply open the valve completely. Thanks again.

HateCheese:
Thanks for responding to my question. Travelling now, so I didn't get a chance to follow up on this thread until now.

After returning I will also run this by all the instructors at the shop I frequent as it sounds like I will be changing from open - 1/4 turn to simply open the valve completely. Thanks again.
This has been discussed in Basic Scuba and it really is not much of a risk anymore, it seems. Regardless, I'd rather risk it being stuck open, than risk it being 1/4 turn open. Learn to open it yourself in the water, then finish opening it at 15 ft after the boat crew has turned it to 1/4. My pony is also opened all the way, ready to go at any depth for anyone who grabs the second stage, no permission needed. I know that many will charge them, then turn them off - but I won't.

I have also made this same mistake and seen other people do it too. My latest protocol, with my buddies is to check their valves on the boat. If I determine that I THINK that they had the valve off or only partially open, then I return the valve to the same position that they had it at and then inform them that I THINK it is screwed up. Then they can check it or have me "fix" or open it for them, but in any case this avoids having someone "messing" with your valves without your knowledge or consent.

Last summer I ascended from an aborted solo dive and crawled back onto the platform and sat on the transom. My "buddy" shut my air down when I came up and sat down and then he walked away. I waited 4 minutes for the boat to be re-positioned and thought about checking the valve but decided not to since I knew it was fine since I had just been down to 80 feet with it 4 minutes earlier. I got a rude awakening when I hit the water.

I waited 4 minutes for the boat to be re-positioned and thought about checking the valve but decided not to since I knew it was fine since I had just been down to 80 feet with it 4 minutes earlier. I got a rude awakening when I hit the water.
[c]:lol:[/c]

The tech who used to service my regs said he could tell I was Tech Diving. "Uh, no - not me, why?" He said he could tell I was hittin my reg hard and fast before I got in. Yeah I do. Not tech diving, but I take my air seriously, especially after my dumb stunt a few years back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom