Ontario California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me a run down on the city? I just applied for a lateral transfer position to their fire department. According to their website they're in the process of building a new station and will be hiring shortly. Anyone that lives their care to fill me in on the financial state of the city?

I have no idea, but man, that'd put you near some GREAT diving...

Tell me about it! Pay appears to be similar and to be honest I passed up on a job with the border patrol in san diego a few years ago because of pay and I've been kicking myself for it ever since, if anything just to get out of the midwest. The fiance is aware if I get the job there nothing is going to hold me back (including her!) :rofl3:

I've been lucky where I'm at in keeping my job, a lot of departments around mine have been laying off and taking equipment out of service. If Ontario is building a new station it doesn't seem like that's the case out there though hopefully.

I have no idea, but man, that'd put you near some GREAT diving...

Sarcasm??

I mean, sure, Ontario puts you close to some great diving....in comparison to some land locked state :wink:

Seriously, though, inland socal puts you a bit over an hour away from decent shore diving. Inland kinda sucks, though, imo (hotter than crap, not super close to anything)....but I am spoiled living moments from the beach :D

No sarcasm. It's a relatively short car ride to the boats and shore diving. Not much worse than us driving down to Laguna from LA. Boats leave right there from San Pedro. Compared to living in the midwest, inland SoCal isn't that bad. Shoot, if he's willing to live with the drive, he could always stay on the coast and just drive for work...

Not like Arcadia was coastal either! :)

and to be honest I passed up on a job with the border patrol in san diego a few years ago because of pay and I've been kicking myself for it ever since,

Having grown up in SD and having done a fair amount of diving in SD, yeah, you blew that one! :wink:

Ontario has a few things going for it that most of the other surrounding cities don't- Airport would be by far the biggest, along with the Ontario mills shopping center. They have a pretty diversified tax base so I would expect them to be in a little better shape than other cities in the area.

I had a couple of their fire guys in my (LE) academy a few years ago doing some cross training and they seemed to like the department just fine.

No sarcasm. It's a relatively short car ride to the boats and shore diving. Not much worse than us driving down to Laguna from LA. Boats leave right there from San Pedro. Compared to living in the midwest, inland SoCal isn't that bad. Shoot, if he's willing to live with the drive, he could always stay on the coast and just drive for work...

Not like Arcadia was coastal either! :)

Nope, Arcadia wasn't coastal....and that's why we live in San Pedro now :D

Seriously, though, socal is full of good diving....and if you're less than a couple hours away from the diving, it's worth it! Good luck with the job!

I lived in Ontario for a while, solid tax base I believe? And good city services (occasional street flooding, Uggh). I moved out there (from the beach) to enhance my "Paint Ball" career, Haa! My team mates from Ontario soon decided they liked surfing more than shooting, and began commuting to the beach each weekend to learn to surf, go figure :confused: .

Lot of good diving for you in So Cal :cool2:, Welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom