online divelog

Would you use an online divelog?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divelogin.com - Answers all the concerns in the poll above

Hi,

We have been working for over a year on this new site, divelogin.com. Divelogin is a free online log book that lets you record your dives, view dive sites and share photos.

There is still a lot of improvements to come and ideas we have to integrate dive computers so we would love to hear your feedback, questions and suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian - Divelogin.com

I know this post is a little old and possibly dead in the water, but I still think it's a great idea and none of the sites out there seem to offer an elegant solution. They're made by developers (geeks) for geeks (I'm somewhat of a geek by the way). Divelogin is close, but not quite there.

I don't understand why people don't think this is a good idea. I think a semi-sophisticated solution has far more redundancy than a paper logbook and home backup that are as archaic and fallable as one another. I mean, I love my logbook as much as anybody, but a watersport mixed with paper it a bad idea. Electronics and water don't mix either so the laptop,tablet or smartphone I might use to log my dives aren't safe, but the closest thing the web servers that are storing my data are gonna get to water are some nerds americano.

I think a solid business model is the most important thing. Upmost it must be a free service. In fact, at all costs. So who bears the cost? Who has the money? Certainly not the divers. Equipment manufacturers and dive shops, that's who.

Allow equipment manufacturers or resellers to target (with limits) divers who need equipment, providing them with special offers, beginner bundles etc. Allow the community to do the same. Allow diveshops to verify divers, be verified, receive feedback, display special offers, prices and post and manage dive site information.

I have some social networking style ideas for logging dives and underwater photography too

Rant over...

~P

I know this post is a little old and possibly dead in the water, but I still think it's a great idea and none of the sites out there seem to offer an elegant solution. They're made by developers (geeks) for geeks (I'm somewhat of a geek by the way). Divelogin is close, but not quite there.

I don't understand why people don't think this is a good idea. I think a semi-sophisticated solution has far more redundancy than a paper logbook and home backup that are as archaic and fallable as one another. I mean, I love my logbook as much as anybody, but a watersport mixed with paper it a bad idea. Electronics and water don't mix either so the laptop,tablet or smartphone I might use to log my dives aren't safe, but the closest thing the web servers that are storing my data are gonna get to water are some nerds americano.

I think a solid business model is the most important thing. Upmost it must be a free service. In fact, at all costs. So who bears the cost? Who has the money? Certainly not the divers. Equipment manufacturers and dive shops, that's who.

Allow equipment manufacturers or resellers to target (with limits) divers who need equipment, providing them with special offers, beginner bundles etc. Allow the community to do the same. Allow diveshops to verify divers, be verified, receive feedback, display special offers, prices and post and manage dive site information.

I have some social networking style ideas for logging dives and underwater photography too

Rant over...

~P

Hi,

Thanks for giving your feedback on this topic, it's good to hear someone criticize the log book. I'm with you on the fact that Divelogin "isn't quite there" but I am interested to hear what you would change or how you would make it better. I am one of the owners of Divelogin, and we accept every form of comments, suggestions and criticism. We are only 1 year into it so we know there are still a lot of upgrades and things to work on, but we will continue to work on it as long as people give us suggestions to make it better. Divers are logging dives everyday so we know there's a need for it.

By the way, we are not a bunch of american nerds, we are canadian nerds!

Thanks

I'll put the site I run into the mix: MyScubaDives.com

About 5k dive shops in the database, and roughly 10k dive sites. One of the things I'm focusing on is actually putting the dive logs to good use. I take the data from the logs and generate graphs and statistics about dive sites and regions, so you can get information about the best times of the year to dive, or how the conditions at your local sites have been over the past few days.

You can also select marine life you saw on your dive from a big database (courtesy of the EOL) or tag them in photos facebook style.

Pretty new... so the data is fairly weak... but it's growing every day.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom