online divelog

Would you use an online divelog?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveExchange seems to be along the lines of what you are looking for, Google it, I can not post links yet. :)

I used to use Diverecord but it had its limitations. I agree with stevescuba, diveexchange.com seems to be the most complete and I like being able to export to PDF incase the site goes away in a few years.

I was thinking about this idea as well. However, for me, I was thinking along the lines of a tool for dive shops/operators as a way to verify logs, etc. For instance, if someone forgets their logbook... no problem, just go online to verify.
It'd be cool for a buddy to be able to digitally sign the log book as well, or dive operators for that matter. Finally, make it so the site can then export a copy to the enduser that can be copied to hard disk, a pda/smartphone, or jump drive so they have a copy with them as well.

thats a wicked idea

I had my own personal site for this where I could upload my photos, wrote comments, had my bottom time added for each log, etc.
I eventually put it out there for the world and had a lot of people sign up for it and really like it... but like everyone else said, it wasnt forever. I eventually had to shut the site down due to lack of funds to keep it running, since you really cant charge for something like that because there are so many others out there that are free. I emailed the users to get their feedback and every single one of them also kept a hard copy and really didnt seem to be too hurt that my site was closing down. All in all, it is a great idea, but keep in mind that there are a lot of things to keep in mind when developing it.

Have fun with it!

Here's an idea: What about a site that lets you scan and upload the pages of your dive logbook? How cool would that be to go through people's personal dive books? It would be like publishing your memories!

I'm on 249diving.com/forum. We just started the site, but there's lots of ideas going around. This is one of them!

I have a similar concept with a slightly different approach that I don't want to divulge just yet as it is something I'm working on. :)

I like the idea but the net can be a dangerous place to store information, servers have the tendency to go down and hackers love to mess with information, no matter how relevant the info is to then. That why I like my log book or using one that I can keep on my laptop.

Security is easy if you know what you are doing (that's my means of employment :D).

I'm still working on this project, apologies for being vague, I will have more info later. :)

I use a google docs spreadsheet to log dives. I can publish a link to a web copy of it that is read only and in html tables instead of spreadsheet layout if I wish.

Export the log to csv/xls/odf and keep hard copy on your hard drive.

Easy and the data is in a portable format.

Online dive logs, that try to mimic the 50 page log books the dive cert orgs give with classes, aren't my cup of tea.

I keep seeing these attempts to make dive wiki/log sites, but none of them click for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom