O'neill sector 5 or 7 mm for Monterey/Santa Cruz like waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randini

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all. Looking for some help here from anybody that has used O'Neill dive suits, especially newer versions of the Sector model.

I've been looking at getting a new suit and am having an extremely hard time finding a good fit (I'm 6'4" and 185lbs). I've decided on the the Sector mostly because I have a couple of O'Neill suits for surface water sports that fit fantastic and it looks like the sector is cut from the same mold. Now it's comedown to 5mm or 7mm.

Water temps where I regularly dive are in the low 50's deg F in winter and may get up to 60 deg F in the summer (think along the likes of Monterey, CA, and I do go as often in winter as in summer, maybe more since the viz is better!). I've been using a 2 piece custom fit suit that's 15 years old and have never been cold. O'Neill claims that the 5mm sector is good for a temp rage of about 46 to 53 deg F.

So my question: Has anybody tired this suit in T's this low? I recently was using some Scubapro 5mm suits in Easter Island and was fine using it with a 2mm hooded vest (other than the suit being to short for me), but the water there's several degrees warmer. I'd like to avoid the 7mm if I can and gain the flexibility of the 5mm.

I'm thinking of getting a hooded vest for summer and a a 5mm sleeveless jacket with hood for winter (possibly even with some liners). Has anybody out there tried a similar setup in Monterey or Santa Cruz type waters?

Thanks in advance

I dive Monterey and the thinnest wetsuit I can recall anyone I know wearing is 7mm. Most wear 7mm farmer johns (14mm on core) and others wear 7mm with a hooded vest. It's hard for me to believe you could be comfortably in 5mm, but it's a very personal thing. Can you borrow a friend's 5mm or 7mm suit and see what it's like?

Thanks for the comment Kryssa. I'm aware that most Monterey divers use 7 or even 10mm suits (been there, dove it). My question is mainly pertaining to this suit as O'Neill claims the 5mm is good for the temperature I'm diving. Is there something *special* about the neoprene they're using? I'm not sure borrowing another 5 or 7 mm suit would be comparing apples to apples, never mind the fit issue (most Chileans are short).

Last edited:
I dive a 3 year old 7mm Sector in Socal water, and I am tolerant to cold temperature. When I first dove my Sector, I could withstand 48 degree temperature without a hood for up to 35 minutes and still be comfortable. However, if I do multiple dives and extend my dive profile in low 50 degree temperature, I would begin to feel slightly cold, but not uncomfortable.

For Monterey, I would opt for the J type Sector with the built in hood.

Thanks s_m. I kinda figured I'd need the 7, but when I saw that O'Neill recommended the 5 down to 46 degs it seemed odd, but very attractive! By all means I plan on matching it up with something like this LINK to go overit in the winter months and a regular hooded vest for summer.

hmm 48 degs w/o hood in a 7, maybe the 5 will be good enough with that jacket I mention above in a little lower T's.

I thought about the J-Type and it looks like an awesome suit. It just doesn't seem like the most practical for my type of diving since I usually have to drive a boat back from the dive site for about an hour and want something simple. Oh, and I hate having the hood on our of the water and I'm not thrilled about all the J-Type's neoprene hanging around my waist.

O'Neill is stretching it if they claim their 5mm suit is good to 46 degree.
Don't forget a suit will lose its compression over time from being used. After 150 dives in my Sector, my suit is slightly thinner when comparing to a brand new Sector side by side. The key to being warm in a wetsuit is fit. Make sure the suit fits you. Good luck.

My buddy dives a 7mm J-type in Santa Cruz and claims to not be all that cold. Unsure if that's helpful :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom