O'Neill J-type Quick review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewh1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just dove this suit in Northern California for the first time, 57 minutes in 54 degree water and 58 degree air temperature (25 - 30ft). I love this suit. I barely noticed water entry when first getting in. I was concerned about the way the hood seals in the back but had no issue with cold water entry around the neck and shoulders. It is a very unique design but it all works.

things I liked -

Fit is perfect. I am 6', 195, muscular and an XL is perfect with ample length in the arms and legs.
I can zip it up easily alone.
it is easy to get on and one piece design so I don't have to worry about hoods and jackets etc.
core and body stayed very warm, The inner john has extra material around the neck and seals well.
the hood was also very comfortable and warm (it seems to have multiple thicknesses of neoprene)
did not notice rushed of cold water

Things I am not so crazy about - you have to be careful with all the velcro or it shreds the inner lining of the suit. Most people who have reviewed this suit have commented on this. I try to stick the velcro together so it won't catch the lining.

Hopefully it will hold up well and last me awhile. So much warmer than my Henderson Gold 3 piece POC. (never liked this suit with the separate hood)

I'm on my second season with this suit. I only have 10 dives on it so far, and no other heavy suits to compare it to. But, I can say that I'm quite happy with it. It fits perfect, so that helps. A few weeks ago we did 2 dives to 100' with low 50 temps at the bottom, about 20min bottom time both dives...no problem. Haven't gotten into the 40s with it yet, but I'm thinking it would be okay. That is until I get back on board the boat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom