One who left might be returning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hopefully, one of our guys that quit the department, 42 days ago for greener pastures, is going to return. Not only is that good for the department but good for the team.

We just lost one of the more experienced divers so if he returns he could fill that void. I still have his gear together to re-issue it to him.

We had a chat about one of the contributing factors that caused the other experienced diver to leave. It involved the senseless death and recovery of a child that we know has been bugging him. But being the macho type he will never admit it or go for any of the offered help we have unlimited access to.

The one that might be returning mentioned that his teen recovery a couple of years ago is still with him. He said there isn’t a day that goes by where he doesn’t think about it. But at least he talks about his feelings.

We were together that day along with two others from the team. No matter how hard we swam with him in that canyon we just couldn't cover the couple of hundred yards fast enough. That’s what is bugging him the most, Not being fast enough. There were four of us pulling and pushing so it just couldn't have been any faster. But in his mind it wasn’t fast enough. But he is dealing with it just fine and from the day of the incident has talked about it. He hasn’t kept it inside like the other one.

Here is a sat pic of the area I’m talking about:
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=11&X=1258&Y=13209&W=1
It was in the channel between the reversed "L" dam mid photo. He drowned about where the channel first starts to widen. We had to swim him to the bridge further up the pic. A long long way when every second counts.

I knew the kid and he worked with my daughter within a mile from the accident site.

When you make a recovery talk it out any way you can. If talking it out with team members, spouse, relatives, friends or anyone you know works, fine. But if it doesn’t work seek professional help.

People aren’t going to think you’re a candidate for the loony bin if you go see a shrink. People do it all the time when they have trouble just getting through daily life. Compound that with the stress a PSD gets put through and macho will get you into an early grave and nothing else.

I have my days just like everyone else and on April 30, just leave me alone, it my day for the one I haven’t been able to shake sense 1986. I know I think about that little 7-year-old more than her family ever did. Somebody has to remember her. Why her, I don’t know, because there have been so many over the years, most I don’t even remember.

Anyway, now that I got totally off the original subject, lets hope we can get him back on-board.

Gary D.

Hello Gary,

Does your county have any type of CISD program in place, usually a group of professionals from different backgrounds... I've only been involved with one, anyone can call one together for any reason. I found a website but there are several if you are not familiar, hopefully it will help you retain good people.
http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/pol.proc/work.violence/cisd.info.html

Bruce

zinmaker:
Hello Gary,

Does your county have any type of CISD program in place, usually a group of professionals from different backgrounds... I've only been involved with one, anyone can call one together for any reason. I found a website but there are several if you are not familiar, hopefully it will help you retain good people.
http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/pol.proc/work.violence/cisd.info.html

Bruce
We do and we use it. But first you need to to knock off the macho crap and admit you need them.

Gary D.

Don't get me wrong; we have the same machismo around here. Now that I think about it, I hate the new Health Insurance Portability and Availability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), because when I work on the ambulance I have more paper work. The new law should be used to get people involved with Critical incidents to talk about them in a formal/casual atmosphere rather than break the law.

Whew... when this was posted in the PSD forum I thought you might be referring to one of the victims who had left this Earth but was returning!

With my department it is not an option. If you are in a critical incident then you will be going to what we call a de-fuseing. The team we have is great. And you are right, some times the ones that bother you the most is the ones you least expect to bother you. Being on SWAT and our dive team I have talked to them a lot, and none has really botherd me in the past 10 years until about 6 months ago when we had a SWAT call that bad. We had the same feelings that Gary talked about, we just could not move fast enough. Add on top of that, I thought my best friend that is on SWAT with me got shot, he did not get shot, but at the time I did not know that. Freaked me out a little after the fact. But we talked about it as a team, and me and him has talked about it a lot over the past few months, and it helps. Do not let that stuff build up inside, because sooner or later it will find a way to come out.

Be Safe

Jeff

For those of you who have had to deal with these issues, how does your religious background and faith help. Or not?

leam

Gary,
I am happy for you of the return of a vetern member. I understand what that means for the team on several different levels. Our team is in transition. We lost our Sergeant through his promotion to Lieutenant. This guy had 15+ years on the team and has brought us into the 21st century in terms of training and equipment when he became the sergeant for our team. The new Lieutenant and sergeant are both newly certified divers and have no PSD background whatsoever. We as a team have been challenged on callouts due to the new supervisors feeling "uncomfortable" with the situations we faced. Did I say transition? I think I meant turnoil! Now one member has left and three others are on the verge, including an instructor. Trying to keep the team together and focused on operational preparedness has been a new challege for me. Rumor is, we are getting our old sergeant back as the team's Lieutenant. There is light at the end of the tunnel, however dim, it's light non the less!

Yotsie:
Gary,
I am happy for you of the return of a vetern member. I understand what that means for the team on several different levels. Our team is in transition. We lost our Sergeant through his promotion to Lieutenant. This guy had 15+ years on the team and has brought us into the 21st century in terms of training and equipment when he became the sergeant for our team. The new Lieutenant and sergeant are both newly certified divers and have no PSD background whatsoever. We as a team have been challenged on callouts due to the new supervisors feeling "uncomfortable" with the situations we faced. Did I say transition? I think I meant turnoil! Now one member has left and three others are on the verge, including an instructor. Trying to keep the team together and focused on operational preparedness has been a new challege for me. Rumor is, we are getting our old sergeant back as the team's Lieutenant. There is light at the end of the tunnel, however dim, it's light non the less!

Do what you can to keep the team functional and it's members intact. Don't let some tarnished brass ruin things. Work on polishing it back to it original bright shine.

Leadership can be done by a non-diver or non-PSD, but they have to leaving the diving operations to the people who know what is going on.

The job of the leader is to keep things operating per policy or close to it. The troops need to run the show.

Take a Navy ship for example. It can operate just fine without a Captain. Just as well without Officers. Take away the Chief’s and things might start getting a little rough. But when you take away the Crew all you have is a big worthless steel box.

Hang in there.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Leadership can be done by a non-diver or non-PSD, but they have to leaving the diving operations to the people who know what is going on.

The job of the leader is to keep things operating per policy or close to it. The troops need to run the show.
Gary D.

This is what we're trying to tell them, but they have a hard time with that. The sergeant wants the final say in everything. We have tried to convince him that if the people working the dive are comfortable with it, we go. He has still quashed a few operations and has turned down even more, that we have found out about. I just hope things get turned around before our creditability gets ruined more than it already has. Believe me, I will not give up. Too much time and effort in becoming what we were to let it go to waste now. I'm focused on trying to keep everyone together for the long haul. I'm glad others think like we do. Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom