One weeks' diving in the Pacific Islands - where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globalbabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

I have the opportunity to take a week-long diving trip somewhere in the Pacific Islands over the New Year break and I'm looking for ideas on where I should head for some really great diving (very fishy, lots of hard and soft corals, wrecks, walls and drop-offs). I'll be flying from Auckland, New Zealand, so I'd prefer to go somewhere that is no more than a 4-5 hour direct flight from there. I was contemplating Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, or Samoa. Is there anywhere else I should be considering? Where do you recommend and what do you like about it?

Thanks!

By the way I love diving the Lermontov in Picton, Port Gore.

I've been to Vanuatu great diving, but what you are looking for i think the Solomon would be better choose especially if you can do a liveaboard I'd recommend www.bilikiki.com

What about PNG? that's another great place.

Great suggestion on PNG - I'll look into that. Not sure if I want to do another liveaboard this year though (already did them in Thailand, Maldives and Australia) as I found doing 4-5 dives a day not that relaxing.

I'm aiming to dive Goat Island and the Poor Knights Islands while I'm in New Zealand, timing and weather permitting. I don't know if I'll have time to go to the South Island as well though.

for landbase in PNG go with Walindi resort....

as for NZ the dive charter i'd recommend is Dive Tutukaka they are Poor Knight's only multi boat full service operator PADI 5 star.

If you ever make it down to Picton Dive Marlbrough is top notch but it is cold water diving dry suit. Lermontov is a great wreck it is not for a novice diver you need to be comfortable with deep wreck penetration (deep as to into the wreck not depth) it is dark but to see an oceanliner ball rooms, resturants, cabins, game rooms, bars libary etc is really cool but not for everyone

If you need help with your travel plans be glad to help or advice for i'm a scuba travel agent

Hi again - Well, my plans have changed and now I'm going to visit New Zealand for two weeks in mid-December, which means more diving there, but I won't have time to travel on to the Pacific Islands on this trip unfortunately. I've made a note of your suggestions til I head over that way again. Anyway, I've started a new thread over in the New Zealand forum with questions about choosing diving sites there. NCBabs, you've definitely piqued my interest with the Lermontov, so have included that in my post over in that forum. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom