One-time clingwrap 'mummy' based dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsp

Registered
Reaction score
The thread on cheap suits from ebay, and the ingenious DIY scuba gear got me thinking about what is a dry suit. Its basis is keeping you warm under water by keeping you dry so the underlying insulation can keep you warm. The most expensive parts of dry suits are those which allow the suit to be don'ed and doff'ed and be waterproof - namely the seals and zipper. What if you made a one-time suit so that these seals weren't a problem. How many dives will a suit last on average and therefore what is the cost per set of dives?

Last time I was flying through MIA, I saw a service where they would clingwrap your luggage - not sure why people did it, but there was a line for it. Could you take the same approach for a one-time dry suit production. Say you took a pair of gloves, and rubber boots, donned the thermals and those and then had your dive buddy wrap you in cling film. Kind of like kids dressing for halloween as a mummy using TP. Could you make a suit that would be waterproof and durable enough for a couple of dives. At the end of the dives you would cut yourself out of the suit and recycle the plastic. No need for complex zippers and seals. Inflation and dump valves could be done as today, but mounted to pad that would be woven into the binding as part of the suit production. Shoulder vs cuff dump would be a matter of pad placement during production.

The pro's and con's I could see are:
Pro's
  • The suit would always be a custom fit and would take into account the underwear you had on that day
  • Suit repair would be facilitated by duct tape.
  • No more need for rental suits, just the values would need to be rented by LDS's, they wouldn't need to account for different sizes
  • Tearing the suit would just mean that dive was ruined, you would create a new suit for the next dive.
Cons:
  • You get strange enough looks as it is when diving in a public place
  • Needing to urinate after the suit is produced would be inconvenient, but could be solved by scissors and duct tape.
  • Cost per dive - depending on material cost this could be prohibative
  • It could get very hot for an SI, not being able to remove the suit

Has this ever been tried? How durable would the plastic need to be? Assuming the goal of inflation U/W is just to relieve the squeeze and the BC is used for bouyancy, it should not need much pressure capability.

Sam

maybe this should go in the humour forum...

I found this tonight while searching for something else. It's worth bringing back to the top of the posting list. :)

Main i can see is to get a good waterproof seal on the neck it would require totally sealing the head in with the body. Suffocation would take about 60 seconds :)

Yes! Quite timely to resurrect a zombie thread on Halloweenie!!!

OMG, the dead threads are getting up and walking!!!

Brains! Zombie eat brains!

Seriously, I was thinking about this the other day, but maybe using something thicker and actually tailored, but still put together with cheap glue. It would be something to do in the summer!

Let us know how that works out for you DIE, video would be great!

wow this sounds like crap what a waste of time,
it would never be dependable

Your post cracks me up. You don't mince words, do you? :wink:

wow this sounds like crap what a waste of time,
it would never be dependable
Do I look like the type of guy that would worry about those details? :cwmddd:

pumpkin_1.jpg

Happy Halloweenie!!

Beware of Zombies!!!​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom