Question One switch two video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my next big purchase this year is going to be video lights (among other things) However since I only shoot less than 50% of a dive I expect to switch off and on my video lights a few dozen times every dive. Why waste battery? I would rather keep them off mostly and extend the shooting time of a single charge into multiple dives.

So it occurred to me - is there a dive light setup with a connector that allows switching on both lights in a pair with a single click? Something positioned on one handle of the tray that would add a great deal to the convenience…?

Thanks

The idea I had in mind was some kind of wired connector with a switch that can be fastened somewhere on the tray. It seems like a simple idea and I wondered why nobody thought of it yet, but since no products exists I think the reason may be a technical challenge?

It looks like it may be tough to have a pluggable connector that can be waterproof sealed at depth like 4-5ATM?

I don't believe a light like that exists but I'm not absolutely sure. You could theoretically rig up a remote switch using a cable but now you have the added possibility of water intrusion from the cable or the gland/ entry point to the light housing(s) that may not have been an issue before.

As for wired switches.... Even the cheaper Chinese lights have started to move towards magnetic reed switches which eliminate the logistical problems for a waterproof wired switch. There was a thread a while ago regarding the retrofitting of a cheap video light using capacitive touch latching switches. IIRC, though, it still required some creative installation with JB Weld and its success depended on what type of power on circuit the light has (latching/ non-latching).

Kraken makes device for their lights that does just what you’re describing.

I've been using the Kraken remote on a couple of their solar flare mini's for about a year. Connects via std sync cords. allows on/off as well as power level control.

Hardest part was coming up with a convent mounting location - that std. mount didn't work well in my case.
IMG_0132.jpg

Back
Top Bottom