One reason why I'm buying my own gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two comments,
This is why I pack and use my own gear.

Second,
Every dive has it's day. It's ok to walk away.

When in doubt don't put your life at risk walk away. It may suck, and you may be pissed off you didn't get to dive, but isn't that better then being dead?

I am cavern and intro cave certified...been diving for ten years now. I always keep the rule about calling any dive for any reason...no questions...even out on the open ocean...even with a shallow reef dive...it is always always better to be safe than sorry. Diving should not be an ego contest...if you do not feel good about something...call it.

If you dive, if you ski, if you mountain climb or if you golf...all sports are equipment intensive / care intensive...you are spending the money anyway for dive travel / vacations...so spend the money and take good care of reliable equipment...yours.

I have seen instructors in the Caymans dive with their used up/ banged up gear...hissing bubbles from every pore. Forget it...an accident waiting to happen.

Just my two cents.

leiserom:
Definitely no used life support equipment.

Key phrase being "Life Support Equipment." There is nothing wrong with buying used BC's or Regs, especially if their condition can be assesed properly by a reputable dive shop, BEFORE YOU PURCHASE IT. On the other hand, and IMO, if there's a doubt, don't purchase it. Better to pay the difference between used and new; it's cheap insurance against the alternative outcome.

Semper Safe,

Rick

Your story reminds me of one of my early dive experiences, with a very similar outcome.

My son and I were both "newbies" with less than 20 dives' experience. The only equipment we owned were masks, snorkels and fins... We were on vacation in Brazil, and decided to go dive on Fernando de Noronha for a few days. There are few dive ops on the island, and we chose the one that looked most serious (Atlantis Divers). They rented us BCs and regulators, and showed us where we could find wet suits. We should have started being suspicious when we realized that the only instrument attached to the regs was an SPG. No depth gauge. No compass. And of course no bottom timer or computer. I should have checked the competition at that time, but I somehow suspect that it would have been no different.

We went for three two-tank outings with them. We were in groups of half a dozen with a single DM. I remember one dive quite clearly. In his very abbreviated briefing, the DM told us that we would be diving to 35m. I remarked that my son and I were not qualified to go to that depth. He just scoffed and said we would be perfectly safe. We made the dive, much of which consisted in trying to keep up with the group while finning against a strong current. When we finally caught up, my air was down to about 30 bar. To his credit (such as it is...), the DM aborted the dive, and gave me his octopus until we surfaced.

While no actual incident occurred during the dive, a lot of things were wrong:

- we had no idea of how deep we were
- while I knew I was running low on air, making an ascent would have separated us from the group; moreover, I was not confident that I could have made a safe ascent from that depth without a depth gauge
- the DM has no idea that there was a problem because he could not see us for much of the dive

I could go on. Probably, diving on Fernando de Noronha using rental gear was foolish to begin with. In many countries, the dive op would have been called to order for not following basic safety procedures. I should have called off this dive, and maybe given up diving on the island altogether. But we had paid a lot of money to be there...

The experience taught me a few things, though. When we got back home, I bought proper gear for my son and myself. No matter where we go, we bring at least our own regs and computers. We enrolled in a rescue level class, and keep practicing skills and emergency procedures. And I would gladly go to Fernando de Noronha again, this time with the knowledge that we can handle most situations and aren't dependent on DMs anymore.

Victor J.

Regarding 'vjongene' story of a bad dive operation and limited equipment...again, more proof that if you dive...buy and take care of your own gear...always keep it clean, well maintained, and store it in an appropriate place.

It is sad knowing that there are dive operations around the world run by either greed, lack of knowledge or improperly trained personnel.

If things look improper or half baked with some two bit dive operation...forget it...not worth the trouble.

I dive North Carolina wrecks out of Hatteras...and I know that Outer Banks diving is run by highly skilled, responsible owners and operators...courteous and always there at the ladder for when you finish the dive. I always pay my way and provide a big tip at the end of the weekend for the boat crew. I would easily dive with them again.

This is all nice but lets get some name out so other will not do the same mistake and go to those store if we pass it on the bad store will have to close or wake-up no buisiness no money NO STORE an maybee no accident

My gear bag is stuffed to the gills.... no pun intended when I get on a dive boat. Dive masters hate it cause it is heavy and bulky and think it takes up to much room. What they don't realize is the space I get ready in is half that (or less) then most people around me use.

In addition to the standard stuff (Bc, regs, etc) I have a full save a dive kit in there consisting of enough equipment to re-outfit/fix almost anything that breaks and enough of it for 2 people, two tupperware containers packed with firstaid stuff quote a friend that was feeling bad last vacation when he couldn't find the nurse, "God Damn, we need to take him with us everywhere it is like having your own personal doctor." If it can sting you scrape, you bang you or infect you, I have stuff in that bag to fix it most likely.

I keep my dive lights in there even for day trips, dive log, slates, a slew of pencils since I have had one that had compression issues... Yes my pencil turned to dust at 100 feet... My dive instructor was laughing her ass off at me... holding a bunch of splinters in my hand.

If I am diving with a buddy somewhere that doesn't have o2 I pack a bottle that will last long enough to get us to a hospital or close to one. (Only a 30 cf bottle.)

But ya know, I am prepared (thank you boy scouts) and feel quite comfortable in being so.

For a new diver, I must commend you for handling the crisis really well.

I always think of my dive gear as my own Life Support Equipment in a very inhospitable environment. So, I spare no expense on choosing the best regulator and equipment I can afford. I treat my equipment with extreme care and I don't trust anyone in setting my gear and turning my air on. Same goes on vacations and boat excursions.

On several occassions, I've watched people jump into the water with their air half turned on that at 60 ft, a diver couldn't get enough air, jump into the water to a depth of 110 ft only to realize that the diver's tank was not changed by the boat's DM. On both occassion, I had to provide air to these individuals. On vacations, my wife and I always get funny looks from divemasters and divers when we request that we set up our own gear. On the first incident I mentioned above, the diver informed me prior to the dive that the divemaster will take care of all the gear setup and that I should let the DMs set the gear for us and just sit back and enjoy our vacation. If I didn't come to his rescue, he wouldn't be enjoying life right now.

A little winded, but my point is, buy your own life support system, so you always know the condition of it, treat them with care and they will function as designed, take control of your own safety. Do not rely on others to do it for you. Take rescue, O2 provider, and advance courses. Your advance open water rating with 40 O/W is not advance. Dive often and practice emergency scenarios underwater and out of the water. The more you become familiar with emergency situations that could happen, the better you are prepared to deal with them if and when they do happen. Learn to dive without a computer. You already have the best computer in the market-your head. If you were keeping track of your NDL and your depth and bottom time instead of relying on your or your instructor's computer, you'd probably know that you were not on deco and the beeping you probably heard was from the ascent rate alarm. Most computers are really conservative.

Own your equipment is by far the best solution.

The story described by VJONGENE is exactly what happens in most operations. I'm from Brazil and it is sad to see that business is more important than safety.

I have my own rules:
1) Never dive without a depth meter. It is the only instrument that can tell you are within the 18 meters safety depth. And if you go beyond that it will be only thing that will tell you are below 40 meters. So never dive without a depth meter.

2) Never dive without a timer. The safety stop is a proven safety rule.

3) Never go deeper than you feel it is safe. If you are certified to go 18 meters, stick to it. I know it is hard and may look like a challange to go beyond that, etc. But thats why you can make an advanced course and more important get more experienced.

Now some things I consider optional but not less important:
1) Carry a dive alert. This is a very small equipment you will need when trying to broadcast that something is wrong.

2) Buy a computer. Once you start using a computer and stick to the decompression plan you will understand REALTIME why it is important to ascend within safety parameters. My dive experience has changed a lot since I acquired my computer.

3) Regarding rented equipment you should be even more picky about safety, availability and quality.

Cheers,

Max

MaxAlegraD:
The story described by VJONGENE is exactly what happens in most operations. I'm from Brazil and it is sad to see that business is more important than safety.

I have my own rules:

Max, I can only agree with your rules. In fact, I have been following them ever since our trip to Fernando de Noronha. Among the most useful and least expensive dive gadgets we now own are two tank bangers - the best way to get your buddy's attention when he is focussing on fish.

Back
Top Bottom