One question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting--I happened to be thumbing through my old PADI Adv. in Diving manual (2000-2003 edition) and came across "Allow a S.I. of at least 60 mins. when diving with a computer". Computer voodoo as well perhaps?

I'm a noob compared to you guys :D

Though a year or so ago a plumber at our house saw my nitrox tanks in the garage and told my wife that I was "playing with fire diving that stuff"

Even SHE rolled her eyes...

My GUESS about the reason for the long surface interval for nitrox is that it related to fears of pulmonary oxygen toxicity. I mentioned the difference between the old course/exam and the new one--that's where the main difference lies. We had to do lots of calculations to determine whether a given dive sequence was more limited by decompression limits or by oxygen exposure limits. What I learned from doing those exercises was that I am more likely to be the next Republican nominee for U.S. President than do a dive sequence that would get me in trouble on the DSAT oxygen exposure chart. Today students still get the chart, but they aren't even told how to use it. When I took my exam to be a PADI tech instructor, they had a set of questions around a dive sequence that would lead to too much oxygen exposure over time, leading to concerns of pulmonary oxygen toxicity. Once again, to create that situation, they needed to define a dive profile no one would dream of using.

Today students still get the chart

They do? When I took my nitrox class, I had to order the tables as an add-on. I got three plastic sheets: the RDPs for EAN32 and EAN36, and one with the DSAT chart on one side and the EAD table on the other. I've always assumed they belonged together and that the other students didn't get any of them, but I may of course have done a wrong ass-umption...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I'm a noob compared to you guys :D

Though a year or so ago a plumber at our house saw my nitrox tanks in the garage and told my wife that I was "playing with fire diving that stuff"

Even SHE rolled her eyes...

To me the least believable part of this post is that you actually were able to get a plumber to show up to your house. What's the secret?

Reactions: RJP
They do? When I took my nitrox class, I had to order the tables as an add-on. I got three plastic sheets: the RDPs for EAN32 and EAN36, and one with the DSAT chart on one side and the EAD table on the other. I've always assumed they belonged together and that the other students didn't get any of them, but I may of course have done a wrong ass-umption...

Our students have them here, but I am not involved with them signing up for the class so I don't know how they got them. All I know is that there is nothing in the lessons now telling them how to use that chart.

Back
Top Bottom