one or two tank wing????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to decide between a 45# Pioneer, single tank wing or a 55# Explorer two tank wing. I want to dive singles for now, but will probably start doubles next year.
What is everyones opinion? They are both about the same price fron the LDS that has them. I would have to spend the ~$98. for the single tank adapter, or make one myself (free).

Is the Explorer going to hang out really bad with a single on it?

Thanks,
Greg

Get the Pioneer now (do you really need 45 pounds? I dive dry, with 14 pounds of weight in the backplate, in cold water, and the 36 is more than enough) and the Explorer later.

The cost of the second wing will be not that much compared to the cost of doubles, bands, manifold, extra reg, etc. The Explorer is not going to work well with a single tank. It would not be DIR to dive the Explorer with a single tank. If you don't care about DIR, this may be better off in the BC forum :wink:

BTW, with the Pioneer you don't need an STA. If you want one I think Scott still has some Halcyon ones for sale for $25 with shipping. Head to http://www.selchie.com/halcyon_sta.htm

Oh, and you can get a FredT, Oxycheq, or S&W STA for less than $60. No need to pay $100 for an STA.

Dr. Frankenmule:

Yes, it will taco, burrito, quesadila and a whole lot of other mexican foods around your single tank.

There is no such thing as a perfect wing for singles and doubles, if you can't afford two wings decide which you want more.

Ben

The 55# wing will fold around a single tank like a taco and be essentially useless. 45# is WAY overkill for a single. Go 36# with a single.

Dr. Frankenmule:
I am trying to decide between a 45# Pioneer, single tank wing or a 55# Explorer two tank wing. I want to dive singles for now, but will probably start doubles next year.
What is everyones opinion? They are both about the same price fron the LDS that has them. I would have to spend the ~$98. for the single tank adapter, or make one myself (free).

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

You really aren't thinking the issue through to it's logical conclusion. Single tank wings have a specific design that is shaped to compliment a single tank. Assuming you are talking about the Halcyon wing, the wing is specifically designed to compliment a single tank, and reduce drag. Whereas the Explorer wing, again assuming you are talking Halcyon, is designed to compliment a set of double tanks. The shape is specific to a set of doubles, and the design is cut in such a way to enhance your trim, balance and bouyancy. DIR isn't about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and trying to go back and forth between one wing for a single tank and a set of doubles is precisely the idea that DIR is designed to avoid. Use the right tool for the job, and any wing that has the capability to work with both single tanks and doubles is, by definition, poorly designed for both.

Regards

I use the pioneer, seen it advertised froma 35-37# lift. It works great from an alum. 80 to 121 steel. It does make sense to have 2 wings. I was checking out Oxy Cheq. and they appear to be taking the streamlineing up a notch. Wings are great! I won't go back. :zap1:

I wasn't to thrilled with the idea of the two tank wing and only one tank. But I wasn't sure since they make the adapter. It looks HUGE.
BTW, the 45# Pioneer is one that a LDS had for $130 off 5thD's prices ($205 vs $334), so I didn't want to pass that up. That was on another post as well. Everyone there said it shouldn't be a problem, especially if I get into carrying more gear. $425 for the Halcyon Pioneer 45#, SS BP w/ pocket, vs 5thD at $515 for the same.

Thanks,
Greg

Have agree there is no such thing as the perfect bladder for all jobs, just like there is no perfect cylinder for all jobs... Why not try the Eclipse instead of the Pioneer...

I would have if that were the one he had in the shop. I may buy both of them just for future plans.
thanks all.
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom