One of ours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anybody know if this is one of us?

By Rosie Gillingham
The Telegram

More than 40 years after they were abandoned, the mines of Bell Island claimed another life.

This time, however, it was a diver.

Joe Steffen of Richmond Heights, Ohio, died Sunday while diving in the submerged mine shafts of the No. 2 mines on the island — site of the historic iron ore mines, where 101 men lost their lives from its opening in 1895 to the time it ceased production in 1966.

The 51-year-old was one of 10 international cave divers who were taking part in a 12-day exploration, called Mine Quest, a campaign aimed at exploring the flooded mines for the first time to discover artifacts and install permanent dive lines for future diving expeditions.

“We’re all in shock here and pretty shaken up,’’ said expedition founder Rick Stanley, who was at the site when Steffen was brought to the surface.

“We just couldn’t believe it.’’

The cause of his death is under investigation by the RCMP, who arrived at the scene at around 1 p.m. Steffen was pronounced dead at the Dr. Walter Templeman Hospital.

The body came off the Bell Island ferry at 5:10 p.m. in a hearse. An autopsy is expected to be performed today.

Stanley said one of the team divers discovered Steffen and noticed he was not breathing. He said he was 20 feet down and about 100 feet inside the mine, but just 10 feet from air.

“He was no where from the exit,’’ said Stanley, who noted police have taken Steffen’s equipment as part of the investigation. “He was right there, right there on that main (dive) line. He was virtually almost out.’’

Fellow team members brought him to the surface and attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Stanley would not speculate as to what might have happened to Steffen.

“We don’t know if it was health or if it was diver error,’’ he said. “We’ll have to wait for results of the investigation.’’

The diving team gathered Sunday evening at Ocean Quest diving centre, which is owned by Stanley, to console each other.

“We’re all together here now and we’re all just so sad,’’ Stanley said. “Joe was a good friend and we really feel sorry for everything that’s happened.’’

The team — which also included divers from Egypt, the United Kingdom and other parts of Canada — began the expedition Jan. 29 and was to continue until Friday.

Steffen — an experienced diver with more than 130 logged cave dives around the world — had returned Sunday for his fourth day of diving in the mines.

In his bio on the expedition’s website, Steffen is listed as an experienced technical diver. His dives in deep caves include Eagle’s Nest and Diepolder, both in Florida.

He has also several deep cold-water wreck dives.

Steffen was a retired police officer at the Richmond Heights Police Department and was a member of Richmond Heights’ city council, having been elected as a councillor-at-large in 2005.

But his passion was diving. It marked Steffen’s third trip to Bell Island. He visited the Bell Island ship wrecks twice before.

“He was a good friend and he really loved Newfoundland and Labrador,’’ Stanley said with a quiver in his voice. “He thought it was a real special place with special people.

“This is something he wanted to do out of the goodness of his heart to help build this island as a destination.’’

Following the team’s first few dives in the mines, many were impressed, referring to it as “the Titanic of cave diving’’ and “one of the last 10 wonders of the world. ’’

The structure includes nine square miles of flooded mine shafts — almost the size of St. John’s — at a depth of 2 1/2 miles (1,750 feet).

At the time of its closure, Bell Island was Canada’s longest continually operating mining project.

In all, 79,989,412 tons of ore was shipped to Canada, West Germany, the Unites States, Belgium and Holland.

Stanley had hoped the expedition would help launch the facility as a tourist attraction and had even applied for a product development grant through ACOA and is waiting to hear back.

He doesn’t believe Steffen’s death will hinder the chances of achieving the goal.

“I hope people don’t look at it like that,’’ he said. “We’re really optimistic that this is still a great product and a great opportunity.’’

Stanley doesn’t know if the group will continue with the expedition, but believes their friend would want them to keep going.

“It’s like if he was a mountain climber and fell off the mountain or a race car driver and got killed in a crash. You don’t stop the climb and you don’t stop the race,’’ he said.

“We’ve lost our mate and we’re all feeling his loss, but I think Joe would say ‘go for it, guys.’’’

yes a cleveland man, also member of the aquaamigos my famimilies condolences to Joe's family.....GOD'S speed Joe

Very sorry to hear. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom