One November Weekend in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorrows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So...business trip in early November to Oahu. Staying at a hotel near Pearl. One free weekend for diving. Where to go? Shore or boat? Recommended dive ops? What about the weather? Suggestions, comments, etc?

Many thanks! :)

November unfortunately means no North Shore, so your options are limited to west side and south side (Waikiki area), with maybe a sprinkling of east side. There are many good operators in that area.

Gabe Scotti (scottitheduck) runs a good operation and may be able to pick you up. He dives all over the island, so you won't be limited at all. Lately I have been using Island Divers Hawaii for my boat dives, and on Sunday they run a 3-tank dive that is very nice, hitting generally two deep dives and then a shallow dive. They provide Waikiki pickup as well, and mostly dive on the south side. Ocean Concepts dives out of Waianae boat harbor and they also provide Waikiki pickup, and I really do recommend the west side as the conditions at the sites are almost always favorable.

Peace,
Greg

Sorrows, if you have only one weekend in Nov. you might want to do South or East boat dives. Most ops will pick up in Waikiki, but if you have a car, you can meet them at the boat. I do a lot of West side boat dives with Pearl Harbor divers. I think the only shore dive at that time would be Kahe Point or Hanauma bay. Then again, Gabe Scotti can hook you up with all of these.

Greg, I will be on Oahu from Oct.13- Nov. 9. we can dive again.

Rod

I think you guys are talking mostly about boat dives, right? Do you need a DM for shore dives? I mean, I've read that the shore diving in Hawaii is altogether a different thing from what I'm used to (Bonaire) so perhaps boat dives would be better?

I'll start checking these reccomeded dive ops out--many thanks--and Scottitheduck, I love your name!

Sorrows,
I dive most weekends with a group of divers ranging in certification and experience. We typically do shore dives, and you would be welcome to join us if you like. If you would prefer to dive on your own, I would be more than happy to pass on some info about sites, but you should really wait till it's closer to get a more accurate read on possible conditions.

Rodney:

I'll be happy to go diving with you again! North Shore is closed now :( but we can try to work in something else.

Peace,
Greg

That's good advice, cwkline, thank you. I've never been diving in Hawaii, never in the Pacific at all (although we do have our dream trip to Palau coming up in December!) so I don't know much about it, other than what I've read. A few years ago we considered a Christmas trip to the Big Island--would still love to go there someday, but we won't have the opportunity this time around, so it's got to be Oahu diving. Thanks again!

well you cant go wrong diving with charlie( cwkline) very knowledgible on the Island dive sites and an all around good guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom