one night in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmcneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be staying one night in bonaire comming from Curacao. I am looking to dive the pier on that Fri. Anyone have a good idea of a place to stay one night that I can do a dive from that is close to the pier, or has a good house reef. I can only go about 30' since I have a 7am flight the next day. Thanks for any ideas...

Duplicate after I posted - weird...

To dive either pier you have to make arrangements with a DM or dive resort. And have a DM accompany you. They make arrangements with the port authorities.

Which pier? If it's Salt Pier, you'll need a car/ride also as it's pretty far south. Town Pier is (obviously) downtown.

For Town Pier, Divi Flamingo, Plaza Resort or one of the smaller places in town work as they're between the airport and downtown. There are no facilities close to Town Pier so bring gear/tank with you. I've heard some of the diveops can provide a tank and transportation if needed, don't know which ones though.

Contact Toucan Divers at the Plaza if you stay there - we dove Town Pier with them.

Actually, the place to stay, especially for one night is Hotel Rochaline in town if they have availability, inexpensive, very simple. Wannadive Divers has a shop right by the town pier, and works with Hotel Rochaline. You may however need to get in touch with them prior to your arrival. The diveshops actually have to get permission from the harbormaster to dive the town pier, so if you really want to do a guided dive (required) you need to set it up, if the harbor master allows, before you arrive. to contact wannadive: info@wannadive.com

Good Luck!

Liz

Actually, the place to stay, especially for one night is Hotel Rochaline in town if they have availability, inexpensive, very simple. Wannadive Divers has a shop right by the town pier, and works with Hotel Rochaline. You may however need to get in touch with them prior to your arrival. The diveshops actually have to get permission from the harbormaster to dive the town pier, so if you really want to do a guided dive (required) you need to set it up, if the harbor master allows, before you arrive. to contact wannadive: info@wannadive.com

Good Luck!

Liz

Wannadive Divers has a shop right by the town pier

I keep forgetting about them... They're probably the best option.

Yea that sounds good, I check with them. I am comming over from Curacao, are there any times that are better to be more likely to get permission to dive the piers? Or is there a house reef that would be as good a dive as I have heared the piers are?

You can only dive Town Pier at night. My personal opinion is that Salt Pier is best in the morning. I'm not clear on what you're asking, you personally won't be able to get permission, you have to go through a diveop. So it's up to them/their schedules.

Bari Reef between Sand Dollar Condos and Den Laman is another option. Easy dock entry, it's the reef with the most counted fish species in the Caribbean. Bonaire Dive & Adventure is the on-site diveop there, it's their facilities you use.

As on Curacao, you'll need to make prior arrangements to get tanks after hours. Most diveops close around 5PM or so. Some places may leave a tank out for you. I think Buddy's drive-thru is an exception, they may be open later - anyone know?

Yea I know the dive op needs to make arangements. I did not know yoiu can only dive Town pier at night. I have a early flight home the next day so I was just wanting to do a shallow dive noonish on Fri. Salt pier huh.....I think we are going to stay at Divi Flamingo...mabe I will stick to a house reef.

Just got back today from Divi Flamingo. IMHO hard to find and easier place to dive a house reef. Lockers right on dock, benches to gear up & quick giant stride twenty feet from top of reef. Saw great tarpons and a slipper lobster @ nite. Day saw many fish including cuttlefish, spotted eagle ray (4ft wing to wing), and ask at Capture Photo for directions to find seahorse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom