One night in Bangkok, 10 in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i stayed at the little place opposite scuba junction, the 4 or 5 new built rooms opposite the wooden cabins. They were comfortable and quiet - think they were about 1200baht per night with aircon, fridge, nice hot shower etc. cant remember the name though.

BUT I would avoid the mermaid resort on samui... i stayed there 1 night because it was close to the airport - never again, the room was disgusting and its right in the flight path on final approach ( plane is about 500ft above you) so noisey. check out the reviews on trip advisor, but if all you want is someone to try and sleep thats close then I guess its ok - just ask to see the room first!

Mermaids is cheap and convenient. That's why people use it. It's near the airport and even nearer the Seatran ferry to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
If you want a better deal, you will to spend more, which most of the people don't want to do.
Flights start at 6am and stop around 10pm.
The cheap rooms are indeed in the flight path and near the landing strip. At the other side of the road they actually have nice and comfortable rooms but they cost money, but everything is still below 2.000,-THB per night.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be checking out places (and clearing them with my wife presently). I've contacted my first choice, but they don't want my money (haven't bothered to return my email for a week), so the search goes on. Another question;

How feasible is it to ship my gear over ahead of me, and out before I leave. I'll be travelling elsewhere and don't want to cart it around but am worried about convenience, security, and cost of shipping it from Koh Toh, Koh Samui.

Thanks Again!!!

Hi there !

Most dive centres on Koh Tao include equipment hire in the price of your diving or give such a small discount its not worth the extra in excess baggage.

For example - the dive centre I work at charges 1000B for the first dive reducing to 700B based on doing 10 dives all of which include full gear hire. Bringing full gear would only reduce you to 700B anyway which based on the number of dives you are likely to be doing then its not worth it.

I know its nice to dive in your own gear but .....why not bring your mask fins and booties and cumputer and the use the DC BCD and Reg.

Im not sure who you are flying with but usually if you fone them before hand you can arrange a few extra kilos for sports equipment free - but fone them before.

In terms of getting it from Samui to Tao on the ferry then it comes with you.

Shipping your gear before hand is bound to cause stress and problems and attract a hefty import tax too. Its quite possible that it will get stuck in customs in Bangkok and just cause you headaches !

Ayesha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom