One night in Bangkok, 10 in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 10 days for diving in Thailand coming up at the end of July. Any and all recommendations welcome and solicited for; locales, hotels, operators.

Thank YOu

I'll be in Phuket first week of July, just like last year.
Diving was great, but you do run the risk of rain and a rough boat ride (last trip NO rain that week).

Thanks so far, folks. I read that my dream trip, liveaboard in Adamans, is no go that season so am now at a loss as that's my only window. Please do post any plugs, recommendations, etc for hotels and operators. I was thinking gulf side...will probably fly into Koh Samui, but wouldn't be averse to a short trip by water from there. Traveling with the Mrs., so definitely want fine weather and calm conditions (as fine and calm as possible). Thanks again!

Hi Rik

I think you should go for the Gulf of Thailand at that time of the year because of the monsoon. Check out Samui or Koh Tao or even Koh Chang. The end of July was brilliant last year at Koh Chang..not crowed, good weather and great viz. Prices are friendly as well in the green season!!!

I can agree with this to a point.
But during the summer on Koh Chang you are also running the risk of massive rainfalls, hence many things on the island simply close for this period. Personally I could not recommend visiting koh chang for a diving trip at this time of year, having said that I do love the Island and spend a lot of time there myself, Indeed I am on the Island myself at the moment and have been for around a month already, it does have a lot to offer at the right time of year. I have been there myself at times during this period and experienced nothing but rain, as is backed up by the following average rainfall figures for Trat and koh Samui.

Trat:
June - 887.3mm rain - 26 wet days
July - 819.1mm rain - 26 wet days
August - 1098.0mm rain - 28 wet days
September - 670.7mm rain - 25 wet days

Samui:
June - 92.8mm rain - 15 wet days
July - 130.9mm rain - 15 wet days
August - 105.5mm rain - 15 wet days
September - 113.2mm rain - 16 wet days

Of course these are average figures based I dare say over a number of years and that doesn't mean to say that occasionally you will not get a period of dry weather during these months, but personally I would not run the risk of ruining my holiday. I myself have been there several times during this period and the weather generally provides unpleasant and difficult conditions not only for diving but everything else.
Please do visit koh Chang and I am certain you will have a great time but during the dry months would be a much better option.

For a good idea about the weather on Samui and Koh Tao check my Samui info and weather blog with archives dating three years back.

In a nutshell, it's good in July and August in the Gulf.

if going to koh tao fly to Samui (do not fly to suratthani) and then take the Lompraya Catamaran over, it is far quicker than the other boats and it is fairly comfortable. Just book it thru an agent and i found the price thru the agent was the same price as booking it at the ferry terminal.

But whatever you do make sure to book it a few days in advance or you might find yourself stuck on samui for another day.

if going to koh tao fly to Samui (do not fly to suratthani) and then take the Lompraya Catamaran over, it is far quicker than the other boats and it is fairly comfortable. Just book it thru an agent and i found the price thru the agent was the same price as booking it at the ferry terminal.

But whatever you do make sure to book it a few days in advance or you might find yourself stuck on samui for another day.

I like to use the night train to Chumphon from BKK and take direct ferry to koh Tao next morning.Cos really dont wanna spent any second in Samui.

This is the advice I give to all our divers who are flying into Samui to reach Koh Tao......

There are three ferry companies offering 5 services a day from Koh Samui to Koh Tao. The Lomprayah is the fastest boat and most expensive – 550B - and leaves at 8am and 12.30pm arriving at on Koh Tao at 9.45am and 2.15pm. The Seatran which is the closest pier to the airport leaves at 8am and 1.30pm, arriving at 10am and 3.30pm. The Songserm is the cheapest boat but also the slowest, leaving at 11am, arriving at 2.30pm, costing 300B. Boat tickets including pier transfers are available from the airport, at your hotel or from any travel agent.
If you arrive after the last boat and have to stay the night, you can stay here - its close and clean....
Samui Mermaid Resort, Koh Samui hotels Thailand on learntodiveonkohtao.com

It has a range of rooms and a pool and is very close to both the airport and the seatran pier for you to catch the early first ferry in the morning.

However, we have recently found this little gem and for just a few pennies more it’s really worth it !
Maya Buri Boutique Resort, Koh Samui hotels Thailand on learntodiveonkohtao.com

You can dive Koh Tao from Koh Samui but the distances each day mean you are far better off to stay on Koh Tao.

For staying on Koh Tao - this is where many of our divers stay....its lovely - the service is fab and its quiet with a good beach and snorkelling infront but its easy enough walking distance to get into town.

Sensi Paradise Resort Learn To Dive On Koh Tao

If this isnt what you are looking for - let me know and I will send you some other reco's - I live here so know this little corner of paradise quite well !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom