One more question before I order.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting ready to order my first underwater digital camera and started thinking about one other factor in my decision. I've ABOUT convinced myself UNLESS someone on here talks me out of it for a better choice, to purchase the Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing. But if I'm not mistaken the Fuji takes Regular AA batteries and the Canon comes with a rechargeable battery pack. Which set up is better? I've read one post that states AA batteries will only last one dive as opposed to 3 or more with rechargeable. Although it may be true one dive on a set of batteries seems exagerated a bit. Any thoughts on the camera or batter options would be appreciated. Also looking at the accessories for the Ikelite housing, the Lens adapter comes with a flash diffuser, when taking UW photos would you want the flash diffuser on most shots regardless of whether your using a wide angle or macro lens? Just wondering if I should buy it just for the diffuser until I save enough to buy the additional lenses
Thanks
David

AAs are by far your best option IMO, I don't like custom batteries. It's true regular AA batteries don't last long but none of us use standard AAs anyway. You will want to get several sets of NiMh rechargables. I can easily get 2- 1hr dives out of a set and they show no signs of being dead. They are not as expensive as custom camera packs and will be available for many years to come. A set of 4 runs in the $10 range, around $25 for a charger and one set of batteries. My strobe also uses them so I only have to deal with one kind of battery and charger.

DavidHickey:
Also looking at the accessories for the Ikelite housing, the Lens adapter comes with a flash diffuser, when taking UW photos would you want the flash diffuser on most shots regardless of whether your using a wide angle or macro lens? Just wondering if I should buy it just for the diffuser until I save enough to buy the additional lenses
Thanks
David

I have just today ordered the E900 camera and housing. Both should arrive by this weekend if all goes well :D

I would recommend using the diffuser any time that you are using the camera's internal flash to reduce backscatter and take off any harse lighting at close distance. You might be able to get your local Ikelite dealer to order it as a separate item?? Can't be more than $10 for just the diffuser piece??

It's always better to use an "off camera" strobe especially to prevent backscatter; not to mention for increase in strobe power and ability to position the strobe relative to the subject matter. Check out any u/w photography books or online courses for more info on all that.

I would invest in a strobe before add-on lenses, but that's just my humble opinion. No sense trying to shoot wide angle or macro if you can't light the subject properly. Ikelites new D-51 looks to be an excellent choice for digital systems - no need for the additional power controller device. I currently use a Sea&Sea DX90 which has SEVERAL power settings with an optical cable to trigger it off the camera's internal flash. A bit messy cable-rigging-wise, but I use same strobes with my S&S film camera, otherwise I'd probably go with the Ikelite strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom