One more Pee valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtapakah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
what is the main difference between a balanced valve and an unbalanced valve? What are the pros and cons of each?

Unbalanced is just a straight connection going out. Closed with a bolt. Advantages - simplicity and low cost.
Disadvantages there is nothing restricting the flow so of you do mot prime it and have it closed you will get a squeeze upon descend or if it open you will get the outboard water leaking inside the tube which is not a good thing as you might think.

Balanced has check valves. One lets air in from under the suit so if you do not prime it it will fill with air on descend. The other valve lets the flow go out but not in so it keeps the outboard water out.

Disadvantage higher cost
I think you can buy a non balanced for about 50 new a balanced would b closer or mote than a 100.

A balanced p-valve has a check valve on it to prevent water going from outside through the tube to the inside of your suit. This necessitates the use of another check valve to allow air into the main discharge tube but not allow urine into the suit.

Personally I never saw the point in a balanced valve. You have two cheap plastic check valves in there. If either one fails, you're probably going to get urine into your suit. With either valve, you're going to just close the banjo bolt if the tube comes off at either end. The risk/reward just isn't there.

Having had p-valve squeeze, I will NEVER dive an unbalanced valve again. If you don't prime them before descending, the results are . . . interesting. However, the balance valve does have a possibility of leaking. In all the urine-loss situations I've had, though, that valve has never been the culprit. Other things are far more likely to fail. If you're completely unwilling to face the idea of peeing on yourself, don't use a pee valve :)

I have been diving a "wet" suit for 15 years. I know how to warm it up fast, so peeing in the suit isnt an issue. The fear of not peeing it the suit on a long dive is what has me worried. I was just wanting to get peoples input on which valve they like so i can make a decision when i get a dry suit.

I have an unbalanced valve, no problems. I do have the tube trimmed short (about 4-5 inches) and never had a problem with squeeze. May be more of an issue for females or those with longer tubing (you can rout it lots of ways) where there where is a significant volume of air to compress. There is enough flex in the end of the condom cath to compensate in my case. My biggest concern is kinking the tube and having a blow off, "priming" the system before you jump in is an excellent check and prevent a squeeze also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom