One lost off Sutherland coast - Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you not manually inflate a wing BCD?
Yes, he was probably over weighted, lost his buddy and then panicked. Very sad, should have never died even with lack of proper hose hookup. According to wikipedia, the ship he was found near is at about 120 feet, so he or his buddy could have easily attached hose or oral inflated at that depth.
I just finished reading Diver Down, should be required reading for certification. So many easily preventable incidents.

Yes, he was probably over weighted, lost his buddy and then panicked. Very sad, should have never died even with lack of proper hose hookup. According to wikipedia, the ship he was found near is at about 120 feet, so he or his buddy could have easily attached hose or oral inflated at that depth.
I just finished reading Diver Down, should be required reading for certification. So many easily preventable incidents.
As mentioned, this report is not related to the original post.

SMS Brummer is 33 metres to sand, say 110 feet. Top of the wreck is about 21 metres or so, say 70 feet. Yes, should have been able to manually inflate or even easier, reattach the hose. If this is difficult to do, then the BCD is badly designed. This wreck also has a shotline from surface to the shallow part of the wreck, so could have pulled himself up to the shallow side of the wreck and then up the line. Last option is to dump some weights, although this could lead to an uncontrolled ascent.

This is mixing up two missing divers at a similar time in different parts of Scotland.
Yes, I missed that. I've never been to Scotland so I don't know the lay of the land. I looked at Sutherland Scotland on Google Maps but that yields a dozen sites. I should have looked for Kinlochbervie which is 83 miles from Scapa Flow as the crow flies if we assume the bird flies in a straight line.

Back
Top Bottom