one light 100-250$ range for gopro videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello guys,

I have been doing videos with my gopro for bit, at the moment I use a pole to be able to get closer to the subject and a filter. I would like to try a video light. At the moment i want to buy only one light as I still want to use the pole to get that extra 3/4ft closer, so I believe two lights would be too much for the moment. I did a quick search, found those:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-bblal1000xwp/bigblue-al1000xwp-1000-lumens-extra-wide-beam-led-light

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-tvtfu1000/tovatec-fusion-1000-light

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-bblal1800xwp/bigblue-al1800xwp-1800-lumens-extra-wide-beam-led-light

Any experience with those lights? I am thinking to go for the 1800 lumens one, any opinion? Feel free to suggest other lights too... :)

I also saw a 1000 lumens head light.. is it a good idea to put a video light on my head? Or it will end up to far from the gopro? I have no clue... but it seems a way to remain un-encoumbered by the light...

Thanks a million!

A gopro with a light and its mount would be quite heavy for a pole mount, you might have to put floats on to make it neutrally buoyant. I put my rx100 in its clear housing w/wet dome lens on a stick for some selfie shots and it was uncomfortably heavy. A gopro with a little flashlight probably won't be nearly as heavy, but it is much different than just a gopro itself.

As for the lights, I had used the tovatec fusion 1000. It is a big light, probably a bit big if I mounted on my camera's cold shoe as a focus light, but I mainly put it on a goodman handle so can have both hands free to handle the camera if I have to.

I'm using this with my camera and would not trade it for anything. Do not be fooled by the numbers, this is an extremely capable light and its compact size is ideal for me. Had the envy of many about my set-up.
Sidekick Flood

There is also the dual application one which I believe could be better but I have no trouble whatsoever with how the flood performs.
Sidekick Duo (Spot/Flood)

I have minimal experience but you can buy the vl2800p from liesure pro for 259. They might send you the 3500 lumen version for that price and it's awesome. 120deg beam width, no hot spot and super bright. So bright, on my last 4 dives I've been taking still photos while holding it in my hand and they have blown me away (obviously my camera and light make up for my lack of experience...thanks Sony and big blue!)

Thanks guys,
at the end i got a bigblue Al1100, attached to the pole with z-gear pole mount. It is a bit heavy on land but in the water it is not a problem at all... I like it so far. :)

I have minimal experience but you can buy the vl2800p from liesure pro for 259. They might send you the 3500 lumen version for that price and it's awesome.

What do you mean? They send you the 3500 lumen version? That's interesting! :) BTW do you have a sony rx100? I am thinking to upgrade... ;-)

I bought the 2800 and the 3500 showed up. I didn't complain!

I have the sony a6000 - it's great. There are advantages to both that and the RX100. I ended up with a camDive housing off Amazon for $200...Yes, I got the "you can bring it back in a million wet little pieces" insurance policy on the camera.

I have the sony a6000 - it's great. There are advantages to both that and the RX100.

I was thinking about the a6000 as well, which do you think are the advantages / disandvantages of both? is the a6000 harder to operate and it does require external lenses right?

Yes,

major advantages of the a6000:
interchangeable lenses
larger APS C sensor
less expensive

major advantages of the RX100 mark 4
smaller
closer focus for macro

similarities and subjectivities:
I think the software package is pretty similar
I think both take pretty stunningly amazing video (check this if you're not getting the mark 4)
both have a viewfinder
both have a flash - but do both have a hotshoe? Does the full line of RX100's have a hotshoe or just the mark 4?
a6000 could be considered more ergonomically shaped - but you might like small cameras.

If you dont get the mark 4, there are some features you lose, but I'm not sure how the whole line stacks up. I would want to make sure I get a version with the "one inch" sensor (it's not one inch) but I might be willing to compromise on the viewfinder (useless underwater, but quite useful on land).

Now that the RX100 Mk V is announced, and at the same price as the Mk IV was, the Mk IV should start to be found for less. if it comes down to $700 - 800, that would be a dang good deal.

Yes,

major advantages of the a6000:
interchangeable lenses
larger APS C sensor
less expensive

Do you always need to change lenses with the a6000? I would like a system which allows me to shoot video, wide angle, portrait and macroish in the same dive. My understanding is that a mirrorless system like the a6000 is not as flexibile as a compact one, that's why I was looking at the rx100. Actually the rx100 mark II for saving some cash, as I do not care too much about the 4k video. Is my reasoning correct? The a6000 requires different lenses to be changed right?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom