One for the gals (

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Tampons, never had issues. Just make sure the string is tucked into you bathing suit in a fashion that it won't slip out. That's the embarrassing part.

I use the instead cups, and they are great. They really help keep odor down as a perk. :wink: They hold up to my heaviest days (I can flood a super plus tampon in less than an hour) with no problems. Since they are disposable, you don't have to go through the ick factor of washing them, like with the Diva cup. One of the nice things for me, is that I don't have to worry about the girls at work swiping my tampons anymore. After several months of starting and finding my "stash" gone I put instead cups in my bag in the employee bathroom, and no one knows what they are and are scared of them so they leave them alone :D small joy, but hey I'll take it

I'm a new diver and one of my male buddies told me that I shouldn't dive while on my period. He said sharks can smell a drop of blood from a long distance. Reading all the responses here I'd have to say that's not true. I'd appreciate any input on this.
Thanks!

I'm a new diver and one of my male buddies told me that I shouldn't dive while on my period. He said sharks can smell a drop of blood from a long distance. Reading all the responses here I'd have to say that's not true. I'd appreciate any input on this.
Thanks!

If I recall correctly, there is a thread about this issue. I think some studies were done and it was proven to be crap. Sharks aren't attracted by menstrual blood whatsoever.

I'm a new diver and one of my male buddies told me that I shouldn't dive while on my period. He said sharks can smell a drop of blood from a long distance.
Thanks!

DAN discusses it too...hey if he wants to debate it with you offer to go stick him in the arm with your dive knife and see which one the shark goes for first! (kidding )

I was freaked out about that when I first started diving, asked my instructor after class, boy was that kinda embarrassing!

Had to wear a tampon for the first time during my checkout dives, and all that was around to change it in was a porta potty *shudder* luckily I was on a very light period usually I'm chugging a bottle of Aleeve and screaming bloody (no pun intended) murder.

So glad to have found this thread. I'm leaving in a week for Utila for 2 months of diving (i.e. 2 cycles!), and I was told that tampons can't be bought on the island, so I bought a Diva Cup last month and tried it out - works great - but I was concerned about how it will react under pressure b/c of the suction.

Sounds like it works great, so I'm ready to try it myself in Utila.

Instead and tampons are fine, too, but I love the idea of an eco-friendly menses. :)

The less stuff I have to throw out, the better.

My solution was to start diving at an age where periods are no longer an issue:D

I think I'll recommend the Diva to my daughter, though; thanks for the info, gals!!

I find that even if I wear a super plus and put it in right before I go under, I end up leaking. I don't have any days that are worse/better. I have 3-5 days of constant (evil) flow and then I'm done. I think the problem with most tampons on the market is that their "string" is absorbent as well. So you have ends competing for the same space. We have a "changing" room on our pontoon that I use. Which is really fun as it is a 30x30 inch space to stand in while the waves and wake rock the boat. So, I end up leaving my wetsuit on til I am completely done for the day and then change into dry clothes.
I have noticed though that I do not cramp at all while I am under. Which adds to the surprise when I surface.
I will have to try the diva cup too. I used to have a diaphragm, so I don't think that will be a problem. Oh, and for those of you who have had kids and don't want anymore....I am planning on a trip to the doc to discuss ablasion. Will let you all know how that works out post-op and post dive.

Back
Top Bottom