One dead at Cow Springs - Live Oak, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would the original fall from the truck that made the initial damage which was then ‘fixed’ by the tape could cause the DSV lever damage?
To even get ready to dive, you have to open and close the DSV a number of times, test whether it holds a +/-, and so on. That's why I'm having trouble imagining how it fell off in the cave.

It is always sad when a fellow diver loses their life, and when looking at accident analysis it is important to do so respectfully. One approach that I use with CCR and cave students is to look at an incident and analyse whether your protocols and procedures would have resulted in the same outcome, or hopefully no injuries or fatalities. In this case there are 4 things that differ from what I would do or teach:

- Entering a cave with a problem
- Single monitor on a CCR
- Not having the bailout immediately accessible via necklace or BOV
- Solo diving

If you come to the conclusion that you would have had a bad outcome, then consider changing how you do things. An example of this where I made a change to what I do/teach is the fatality on the Andrea Doria a few years ago. A diver had a runaway wing inflate and spent the entire rapid ascent trying to disconnect the LPI hose from the wing. I could totally see how this could happen - disconnecting the LPI is an OW skill so not being able to do it could easily result in getting task loaded on that seemingly simple task. The protocol I use/teach now is to make one very quick attempt to disconnect, and if that does not work immediately fin down whilst isolating the cylinder and dumping gas.

I am a big fan of how The Human Diver - Counter-errorism in Diving - Home Page discusses this sort of decision making in an intelligent and non-judgemental way. Very interesting to learn about why we as humans make poor decisions.

[
An example of this where I made a change to what I do/teach is the fatality on the Andrea Doria a few years ago. A diver had a runaway wing inflate and spent the entire rapid ascent trying to disconnect the LPI hose from the wing. I could totally see how this could happen - disconnecting the LPI is an OW skill so not being able to do it could easily result in getting task loaded on that seemingly simple task. The protocol I use/teach now is to make one very quick attempt to disconnect, and if that does not work immediately fin down whilst isolating the cylinder and dumping gas.
Sorry if this is derailing the thread too much, but this made me curious. Why not just shut off right post and switch to necklace? Wouldn't that stop the inflation faster and preserve more gas?

[
Sorry if this is derailing the thread too much, but this made me curious. Why not just shut off right post and switch to necklace? Wouldn't that stop the inflation faster and preserve more gas?
I think we are agreeing, with the exception of one quick attempt to disconnect before isolating the right post. You will then be able to disconnect in slow time and turn the right post back on. This is the doubles protocol, but similar procedures in SM.

I like thinking about better ways to tackle that.

My inflator can't fill faster than my butt dump, dumps.

Left hand dumps, right hand pops the inflator hose. Closing the valve takes longer, if I can even reach it without injury.

My hoses are new and pop easy. I have the top hats for them, but don't use them.

Why not just shut off right post and switch to necklace?
LPI is darn near instant. With a fully open valve, I can't see the times being even close.

Why don’t more people run BOV vs DSVs
My necklace reg is a little annoying because it's short hose restricts my head movement.

I'm not a rebreather guy, but I noticed that BOV's have an extra hose or two. If I'm paying $7-10k for an air filter, I might want the one with the simple DSV for less jaw fatigue.

I'm not a rebreather guy, but I noticed that BOV's have an extra hose or two. If I'm paying $7-10k for an air filter, I might want the one with the simple DSV for less jaw fatigue.
One of the easiest/common errors I see in new rebreather pilots, is not closing the DSV before taking it out of their mouth. The sudden change in buoyancy has caused more than one death that I'm aware of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom