One dead at Cow Springs - Live Oak, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attitude to safety.
After years of reading this A & I section, so many of us 100% follow the "3 strikes - You're OUT ". It can be the smallest, tiny, thing that you "miss/drop/break/redo" and it signals you don't have your focus on diving. So you start counting them out loud. Something simple breaks > That's # One !! ..... So 'Break the Chain of Events" and stop the dive. Sit out the dive, sit down and recheck every single step of your setup. I've hit 3 strikes several times and each time I sat it out/aborted and then did a perfect next dive.

It sounds to me like he tried to bail out, and the knob on the BOV popped off leaving it partially closed, bailout reg # 1 got caught in the line and he never made it to #2. I've had a few where the little button/lever screws into the barrel of the BOV so this makes sense.
Would it be possible to breath from the loop with the DSV half way between open and closed?

Would it be possible to breath from the loop with the DSV half way between open and closed?
Yes.

If your pp02 is way low for a while, can you even get to your bailout?

My experience with hypoxic, is people are mostly fine, groggy maybe, then just pass out. Then we have to reel them out.

We have CO, and Chlorine monitors, but there's plenty of other gasses that can displace 02 in a confined space.

I'm puzzled by the "lever came unscrewed" on the DSV part of the equation. How can that even happen? I was looking at one (Kiss) this morning and it doesn't seem possible unless it wasn't put together properly.

Ken will confirm or correct me of course, I'm just responding because either way, the QC6s connectors can be disconnected by just pulling the sleeve down, I became aware of that from Ken of course.
Yes, I had one on a rig between the sphere (O-2) and the head because it made it easier to take it apart. It popped open when I backrolled off a boat in the ocean. I turned it around so it couldn't catch, and then I popped it open sliding into the water off the front of my Jon boat cave diving. I took it off after that!

It was a dive rite DSV
I watched a service video on Youtube. It's got a metal lever that is held on by a 3/8" nut on the inside of the barrel. The nut would have to fall off inside the DSV and I doubt you could break the lever another way. Maybe someone who has one can weigh in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom