One dead at Cow Springs - Live Oak, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who made the report available. That's amazing to have it so soon. I guess that will depend on the accident and how much info is available.

Good example of what not to do.

Another example that you can't bail out, can't switch air, can't play around with valves, if you pass out.

We had 2 locals on CCR's die the same exact way. Pass out with plenty of air, due to hypoxia from bad (homemade) po2 readings, or not paying attention.

A very unfortunate outcome that seems avoidable based on the analysis. Reinforces some personal learnings about having a necklaced regulator, a BOV, or a combination of the two.

Putting a backup regulator within the golden triangle is a pretty good piece of advice. I nearly gacked myself about eight years ago even though I had a BOV, the QC6 which fed my BOV had become disconnected and there was little gas in the loop. Thankfully I had a necklace reg that I was able to pop in my mouth.

Putting a backup regulator within the golden triangle is a pretty good piece of advice.
For sure. I always hang one on a necklace. It takes less than 5 seconds to pick it up and breather from it.

For sure. I always hang one on a necklace. It takes less than 5 seconds to pick it up and breather from it.
I have a BOV, but I think this is a great idea. It appears he knew that something was wrong but did not have enough time to deploy his bailout. Seconds count.

Perfect example of what not to do and very poor judgement. A significant equipment failure (loss of ability to monitor PPO2) is a sure sign for me to call that dive. When we think we know better, we start to become dangerous.

Great report write up with so many lessons.
It re-enforces that each accident is a chain of events and that if just one link in the chain was stopped,, the outcome would have been different.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hello, this thread is in the Accidents and Incidents forum, which has special rules. The point of the A&I forum is not to insult or vent, it is for all of us to learn. Somebody died here. Please show some respect, the best way to do that is to be kind. Thank you.

Perfect example of what not to do and very poor judgement. A significant equipment failure (loss of ability to monitor PPO2) is a sure sign for me to call that dive. When we think we know better, we start to become dangerous.
He could still monitor PPO2 via the hud.

He could still monitor PPO2 via the hud.
We don't know that. The fischer connection was compromised. Who knows how accurate that was. I have no idea how deep he was, but he might have toxed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom