One day to dive in Maui, where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phuertas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going on a cruise and will be in Maui for a day and want to go diving. We already have the Manta Ray dive on the BI set up. I'm looking for tips on where to go. Should we try the Lanai cathedrals or some other dive spot? We are traveling with non-divers so these are the only two dives we will get a chance to do and still be social:wink:.

Thanks!

The Lanai Cathedrals is great. you won't go wrong with that. Another dive you might do is Molokini Crater. My third choice would be 5 Graves.

I'd do Lanai over Molokini, if you have that option. Molokini has definitely gone downhill over the eight years I've been diving there.

If you like night diving, see if you can book the afternoon/night dive with Lahaina Divers, and do the Carthaginian and the Mala Pier. We did that on our last trip, and it was the best boat diving I've done on Maui in quite a while.

I'd do Lanai over Molokini, if you have that option. Molokini has definitely gone downhill over the eight years I've been diving there.

If you like night diving, see if you can book the afternoon/night dive with Lahaina Divers, and do the Carthaginian and the Mala Pier. We did that on our last trip, and it was the best boat diving I've done on Maui in quite a while.

I have not been on Maui in 10 years, in what sense has it gone downhill? Does that include the back side as well? What about 5 Graves?

Where and what time your port of call is will determine whether or not you can dive. If you're docking at Kahului, the distance to Kihei or Lahaina may prohibit you from catching a charter. However, if you're docking at Lahaina, you may have a shot at getting on a Lahaina Divers boat for a morning charter. Should that be the case, then you're not going to be able to choose where you go, but instead go where their schedule dictates for that particular day. If you're early enough and can catch a cab, you may be able to go with Extended Horizons to Lanai.

Keep in mind that dive charters go out VERY early in Hawaii due to trade winds causing very choppy seas in the afternoon. Lahaina Divers is one of the latest morning charters, which is why most cruise ship folks go with them....plus they're moored at Lahaina Harbor, which is where the cruise tender goes out of. I've been on a Lahaina Divers boat in the afternoon where they had to cut the trip a bit shorter to get cruise ship passengers back in time. It didn't affect our diving, so it wasn't a big deal.

If you post your port and time, we should be able to give you much more specific answers.

Lanai is a great choice but a long day. Molikini is often paired with 5 caves, and makes for a nice pair of dives. A third choice would be a couple of sites close in right out of Lahaina ( where the cruise ship will likely be), doing the Cathaginian and then a close in reef- maybe Olawalu. There is no bad choice. Have a great couple of dives.

It's my personal impression (borne out by a study I read a year or so ago) that the number of reef fish on Maui is in decline. I also think there has been more and more dead coral in Molokini over the years (not sure if there are any studies to bear that out). I remember, the first time I dove Molokini, rolling over on my back and staring up through more fish than you could count -- I called it "God's kaleidoscope". That certainly has not been my experience in the last few years at all.

I've only done one dive on the back side, and I was not really impressed with it. I thought the crater was much more interesting. But I've done big vertical walls elsewhere.

Lanai for sure, Did back wall and crater of molokini and thought they were just ok. Too many boats in the crater and the back wall was pretty barren.

Last edited:
We dive Maui every year, or twice every year. Both Molokini and Lanai are great dives, but very different. The backside of Molokini is one of my favorite places to dive everywhere - so much life to see in all the nooks and crannies, and then you turn around and look out into the blue and never know what you are going to see. But it's a more advanced dive than the others. Inside Molokini crater can either be wonderful or just OK, depending on conditions, where you dive, your dive guide and dive profile. The norm is early dive at Molokini, then second dive closer to shore by Wailea or Makena. Again, close to shore is luck of the draw whether conditions are spectacular or just good. Depending on the dive operator, you will typically be back at the Kihei boat ramp between 10 AM to noon. Lots of really good dive operators; my favorites are Mike Severns and Scuba Shack. The near shore diving isn't usually as good as offshore

Lanai is totally different and noted for the cathedrals - visually dramatic and stunning. But it's a longer boat ride going and coming, and unless you're on nitrox you can be more limited on bottom time due to depths. Extended Horizons does a great trip; we've dived with Lahaina Divers to Molokini and they were excellent as well

Depending on your skill level and interest, you might want to check out Lahaina Divers trip to Molokai to see the hammerheads. It only runs a few days a week and is advanced, but Molokai underwater is gorgeous underwater before you head out into the deeper water looking for hammerheads

All the dives are usually two tanks, and like everyone has said, the boats leave early. Plan on arriving at the boat at 6 AM or so

One day isn't enough to experience Maui diving. My suggestion is to blow off your non-diving friends in the mornings so you can dive, and then meet them starting at lunch near where you depart for the rest of the day's activities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom