On your first cenote tour, please......!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavew0man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So high season has kicked in here in the Mayan Riviera. This means that all of Cavewoman's dive partners are working, like 7 days a week crazy. So... if Cavewoman wants to dive, she generally ends up tagging along on the end of a cavern tour. (She is seriously contemplating solo training, having now done Chac Mool something like 50 times.)

Now, at the back of the pack, you see ALL sorts of things going on that your guide doesn't see, because he/she isn't staring at all of you, every minute of the dive. However, at the back, that's exactly what I end up doing.

If it's your first time in this sort of environment, nobody is expecting perfection from you. You are going to gain a whole new appreciation for the importance of buoyancy, trim, and propulsion, and, hopefully, you are going to be blown away by the sheer beauty of the cenotes.

But while you're doing it....... ! Please, please, please - listen, and pay attention to the briefing before you go in!

Here is my wish list for first-time (or any time) cenote divers:

Please:
1. Stay in your assigned position. Your guide is going to tell you what number you are, and you STAY there. Don't drift off, up, down, away to look at something, join your spouse, or whatever. If they tell you to stay within an arm's length of the line, you STAY there. If you don't stick to the plan, you're messing it up for the other people, and you are a safety hazard. If they tell you to position yourself side-by-side when you enter the halocline, do it! Not off to the side, 20 feet back, beside them.
2. Use your BC. Don't continually swim down because you're too buoyant, or swim up because you're too negative. Adjust it - that's why you've got it. Otherwise, you're banging into the ceiling or kicking up the bottom and wrecking the visibility for everyone behind you. (And if you are on the ceiling, or kicking up the bottom, you just might need to adjust your BC.)
3. The line. My god.. the line. Your guide is going to tell you all about the line, and please do what they say. Don't grab on to it and pull yourself down - use your BC. Don't grab on to it and pull yourself hand over hand to move forward - use your feet. You are going to break the line. And, absolute tops of the list - NEVER CROSS UNDER IT. Today I watched a diver approach the line at a 90 degree angle. He grabbed it with both hands, and (I s**t you not) ducked under it, pulling the line over his own head. He then twisted his body around 180 degrees to see why he was stuck. Seeing this coming, I grabbed him by the tank and disentangled him - but you don't usually have someone behind you paying attention to what you are doing.
4. Lights. Please, again, listen to your guide about what they want you to do and not do with the lights. They are not cheap. If they want to wait until you are underwater to give it you, don't just grab one and go! If they ask you not to turn it off underwater, don't do it! Today two different guides had one light lost and one light flooded because it was twisted off too far. That's about $80 each of them is out.

Now I personally think that the cenotes are the most magnificent dive sites on the planet. (That's why I live here). I think that if you are considering doing a cenote tour, by all means, do it! It's an incredible experience. Just please bring your brains (turned on), pay attention, and listen to your guide. They are there for your safety, and to ensure that everyone has the most enjoyable experience possible. Making it that way - safe and enjoyable - is also your responsibility.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Fifty times around Chac Mool would make me think about solo diving, too :)

Very good points, and thank you for posting this. They're wonderful dives, but they do deserve respect.

For someone who is planning on diving a Cenote this coming May your information is first rate. Thanks so much for the post. I'm sure i'll have many more question as the months get closer.

All best,
Brad

Well put. I haven't done 50 cenote dives, only 2. But I also was in the back, with only one person between me and the guide. Still saw some fun stuff!! What a wonderful experience though!! can't wait to do it again.

You are listing issues that reference the lack of basic skills required for OW certification. These divers should be screened and not allowed in there, end of story! Most of these divers are once a year vacation divers, go scare the fish in Cozumel instead.....or, get the basic training that allows you to control your buoyancy at least, is that too much to ask? I don't think we can expect the Mexicans to enforce this issue, due to the almighty dollar, so maybe we can do our best as divers to save the Cenotes.

Amen.

When my wife and I did a few cenote dives the guide knew I was a CD and had tech training. He put me on "tail-end-charlie" for a bit of clean up diving.

Cavewoman is so right. I saw half of what she mentioned in that short time. And I never did see the "crystal clear" diving in there. A couple ahead in the group were diving vertically (kicking more downward than horizontally) due to a lack of understanding of what that funny BCD-thing they were wearing was for.

I also noticed the significant damage to the ceiling. Not pleasant.

All of you divers on SB out there: please, no one expects everyone to be a perfect diver. But know your capabilities and limitations. If you can't hold yourself horizontal in the water (without kicking) maybe you should should stick to OW type of diving fo the time being. No insult intended, but a suggestion.

Anyway, I would really like to get back to the cenotes and try it again. Perhaps something a bit more challenging that won't be filled with divers too new to try this type of dive.

You are listing issues that reference the lack of basic skills required for OW certification. These divers should be screened and not allowed in there, end of story! Most of these divers are once a year vacation divers, go scare the fish in Cozumel instead.....or, get the basic training that allows you to control your buoyancy at least, is that too much to ask? I don't think we can expect the Mexicans to enforce this issue, due to the almighty dollar, so maybe we can do our best as divers to save the Cenotes.

Well I can tell you that US MEXICANS, and in most dive shops I know in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, we do check on divers skills, at least have them do an ocean non deep dive first if they have not dove in a while, and Cavern guides wich are generally experienced Instructors (FULL CAVE DIVERS) do provide briefings that cover this issues, unfortunately we get many divers saying and even proving hundreds of dives that do not pay attention to briefings, and at least in our shop we do prefer to recommend not diving overhead environment if there is lack of experience, we also offer bouyancy clinics, Cavern private courses etc. We Mexicans like to keep the cavern system as it is so we can keep getting the almighty dollar from the grandsons of todays divers. Also OW certification skills are one thing but CaverN diving skills or overhead environment diving are a whole different deal it is hard to screen every single diver before a Cenote dive so we provide all the facts and issues about it.
CAVEWOMANS POST IS GREAT. ALL I COULD ADD IS ....PAY ATTENTION TO BRIEFINGS, POSTIONS ETC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom