On-island trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clearify,
the dive master name is Di (pronounced D, I sounds like an "E" in spanish). His fins (or used to) have Di written on them. We known him for years. He is getting married soon.

Last dive was yesterday. :(

NW winds made a choppy ride, but as we got south, it was more calm. Dove Columbia bricks first. Large eagle ray out on the wall about 40' deeper than us. So graceful, just moving slow along the wall. Huge spires and nice swim throughs. Such a peaceful dive. I think I like it better than Palancar. Fewer other boats/divers, too.

Second dive was Little La Francesa. One of our divers had an issue at the surface, and we were all already down at 40' and dropping. Waited for a while, and she ended up getting back on the boat, so we drifted pass the normal start point, I think. A bit of a swim to the reef, then a slow-paced dive looking for critters. Saw two nurse sharks out swimming - neat! And a large green moray also out swimming. I tend to use more air on these slow dives to keep from passing up the divemaster. He's very skilled at just hovering, despite the current, I need to work on that.

Took our gear back to the condo, did a nice thorough rinse and dry of the gear. Nap by the pool (why isn't the nitrox giving me energy today?), go to the dive shop to pay for the diving, rental gear, etc.

Dinner at Blue Angel. I'm not sure that we include BA in many of the dinner discussions on ScubaBoard, but it was excellent! Two of us said it was the best meal of the trip. Bacon wrapped shrimp with risotto, Mahi Mahi, Molcajete, and Messy Shrimp. Fantastic sunset view, a very energetic and enthusiastic waiter (he wrote down all of our names - some real, some fake.... El Jefe, Diego, Princess, etc.) They had a singer over by the pool, and that added to the ambiance. Two for one drinks, too, if you are early enough.

It was a terrific trip. How can you top Cozumel? Relatively easy to get to (direct flight from Denver), friendly people, great food, superb diving, not terribly expensive.

Our divemasters (Arturo and Di) were excellent in every way. The boat captains (Fidel and Enrique) quietly do what needs to be done, and are quick to jump in and help fix something, grab your gear, swap tanks, etc. Aldora's 100 CF and 120 CF steel tanks were getting us up to 90 minute dives. Never under 70 minutes. They run a good show. The guy at the shop was impressive as well. We walked in after we arrived on the island and he says "you must be the H2ODoc family. And your other son arrives tomorrow, right?" Holy cow. What a memory. Quick and efficient.

Miramar condos are a good choice. Not inexpensive, but a condo building with 10 units, slightly N of Aldora Villa. Nice pool. Concrete dive platform so you can launch yourself into the ocean. We saw an Eagle Ray about 50' from our condo while snorkeling. Clean, roomy. The only downside is that BBQ is charcoal, not gas, and it's by the pool. Not a big deal for us, but if you plan to grill, just grab some charcoal at the store.

It's always sad to leave, but we got our fill of diving and Mexican food for now!

Full moon yesterday morning:

coz6 - 1.jpeg

Heading back after our last dive

coz6 - 2.jpeg

Daughter chilling by the pool

coz6 - 3.jpeg

Sunset at Blue Angel

coz6 - 4.jpeg

Live music at Blue Angel last night

coz6 - 5.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I’ve only been back from Mx 5 days and am already anxious to get back on 2/2, especially after reading your trip report!

Totally enjoyed each of your reports and the beautiful photos as well. Thanks for making the time to post live from the island. Safe travels to you and your family.

Just landed in Denver. A strange white material is covering the ground!

oh my! GASP!!!! from island paradise to snow...... then safe travels home from your airport!!!!
Hey, send that white stuff toward NC please.....

Great report. We were on the same (delayed) flight as you and missed our connection. I saw your son in the airport, can't miss that stache! We had a close encounter with a hammerhead on Friday, it was the highlight of the trip. Cozumel is always a treat.

Thank you for putting this together and updating. I enjoyed reading it.

I liked every meal I had at Blue Angel- especially breakfasts.

I was there with a eat-stay-dive package in June and thought everything was great. Their servers and dive staff are top notch.

Jealous of the hammerhead! We got schools of blacktips off in the blue when I was there in November 2021 and that was pretty sweet.

Glad you got to enjoy time with your family, that is a beautiful thing and I am sure they will cherish the memories for years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom