On holiday dive suggestions: Maui based

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
May be a bit early to post this, but I'm looking for some unique diving while I'm on holiday July 2 -15th this summer. I've already been on the basics of Molikini, 5 caves/graves, that little St. something wreck - all the safe boring tourist dive boat stuff. I stay in Kihei and with planning could get to just about any part of the coast that can be driven to.

I have a PADI MSD cert. Certed to 40m + wreck, night, drift & obligatory Nitrox. Learned drift under the Tacoma narrows and have a 4m drift line and hook. I have a great light setup for murk and night + required backup lights. If longer times are in store, I even bring the travel twin singles setup with two full sets of regs. I typically dive tech style w/3m primary. I've got a low budget camera and strobe setup, but don't feel compelled to bring it on every dive - even out there. I live in and dive the Puget Sound area & BC. Dive wet all year round here with water temp 4 to 7c.

In fact, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a pasty white haole who would just as soon avoid more than 10 mins unprotected in your Hawai'i sun. While that near the Equator, I have to apply sunscreen carefully as if a layer of clothing each day just to stay relatively pasty.

Got no problem paying a fair share, just don't want to spend $125 USD for 2 boring dives (albeit with lunch). If needed I can certainly take care of my needed tanks for any given dives - would just need to know MODs prior.

I'm big into historical content and really enjoy the creature watching (UW and land), and dig learning/experiencing different cultures too, if that helps.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely
TS Lewis

Last edited:
We've done a bunch of interesting dives from shore -- Honolua Bay, the Mala Pier, Shark Cove in Lahaina (entry is a PITA, but the dive was great). There are also Ahihi and La Perouse Bays further south.

I don't know how you would arrange to do those dives, unless you contacted a shop and arranged for a DM. Shaka Doug leads shore dives, mostly in the south end, but I don't know if he'd be interested in going that far afield, unless he had a whole group that wanted to do it.

Too bad kidspot isn't on Maui any more -- we had some really fun scooter dives with him!

I just got back last week from Maui. Dove with Ed Robinson and Shaka Doug. You might enjoy his Adventure X boat dive on Wednesdays in which he personally leads. Also, beach diving south of Kihei can be fantastic. My favorite was Ahihi preserve and the dump. If you go with Shaka Doug, he knows where all the critters live.
Aloha.

Having resided on Maui for 15 years and working in the dive industry here for the last 6 years, this thread caused me to do an internet search of this word string; shark cove maui.

This page we are on right now did not even come up in the first 50 results of that search. I know of no Maui shark cove.

frankosmaps: Maui Dive Map, The Valley Isle

If you look ~half way down the web page linked just above, there is a Lahaina surf spot with shark in it's name. :idk:

With regards to south of Kihei; commercial ocean recreation activities are not "permitted" south of the Makena Resort, except by permitted snorkel charter boats and permitted dive charter boats.

To my knowledge, Shaka Doug guides dives mostly in Wailea / Makena, not off the West Side. I'm sure he will be along shortly to clean up my musings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom