On fish and Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dzer0

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I’m new to the diving world (about 8 dives in) and am trying to find some great local spots in the Destin to Navarre area. I keep going out to the Destin East Pass Jetty’s and while that’s cool and all, I’d like to see something new. I’m mostly in this for the aquatic life, but at this point I’m pretty amazed by just about anything; that being said my more experienced dive buddies (which are new to this area) can’t sit around and look at fish all day like I can. Any shore dive suggestions? What’s the best way to dive the old Destin Bridge? Rumor has it there’s a grouper bigger than my instructor around that part (Goliath Grouper perhaps) anyone know the truth to that?

I’m a huge fresh water fish enthusiast (250 gal South American aquarium) but must admit I’m not so knowledgeable when it comes to your more general salt water fish (outside of an aquarium of course). While I know my Hypselecara Temporalis from my Coryphaenoides, I still don’t know what the pin striped fish that bit my bare legs at the ridiculously dirty Cinco Bayou is called, or the small aggressive curiosities that look startlingly similar to Convict Cichlids are named (Sheepshead and Pinfish someone said). I’d like to start putting together a log book of the fish (and other aquatic life) I find, because I’m that kind of a geek, but I’m just lost so far. Are there any good resources for that sort of thing in this area online? Are there any interesting tropical species around these parts? I’ve seen a few angels, butterflies, damsels, puffers and boxfish; not too much else besides that.

Also can I join in the Florida club?

dzer0:
Hey I’m new to the diving world (about 8 dives in) and am trying to find some great local spots in the Destin to Navarre area. I keep going out to the Destin East Pass Jetty’s and while that’s cool and all, I’d like to see something new. I’m mostly in this for the aquatic life, but at this point I’m pretty amazed by just about anything; that being said my more experienced dive buddies (which are new to this area) can’t sit around and look at fish all day like I can. Any shore dive suggestions? What’s the best way to dive the old Destin Bridge? Rumor has it there’s a grouper bigger than my instructor around that part (Goliath Grouper perhaps) anyone know the truth to that?

Off shore in the "main bridge rubble pile" there was a grouper that was 4' to 5' long.

I've got a pic of him that I took at home if you want to see it. This isn't a shore dive, but it's pretty close in and a "favorite" (sarcasm implied) of the local dive boats since it's so close to the pass.

Other shore dives in Destin? every now and then some folks dive the hwy 98 bridge pilings. Crystal Pier pilings are a decent shore dive, but it's more of a snorkle. SeaYoda and I dove it in May and after the dive we decided that most likely snorkel gear would have been just as easy. We were expecting depths up to 15 to 18 feet but got in reality 5 to 8 feet with maybe a max of 10 feet in one spot. These depths all the way out to the first sandbar off shore, about 100 yards maybe (or a little more). There are some fish there, but not lots. mostly very small, but the ocasision barracuda also. Lots of shore fishermen in the early morning and late afternoon since there is beach access parking here. You might see spanish mackerel or pompano running the beach here also.

Other sites for shore diving near Destin include the Navarre pier pilings, St Andrews Jetties, and Morrison, Vortex, & cypress springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom