On-board air compressor explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand. Most piston separation failures result in a cracked cylinder wall and damaged crank since it is pushing compressed air on the lift stroke. The piston would have to over come this pressure, in addition to exert enough remaining force to remove the compression head bolted on top. A first stage piston usually has a very low psi and the entire compressor is only turning at 2000 to 3000 rpm's. Can you post any pictures of the damage to get a better idea of what happened?

unfortunately, i didn't have a camera with me. i'm pretty sure it was a piston, it sure looked like one. I don't know much about air compressors though.

If a piston were somehow able to make an exit from the compressor, at this point, it would certainly not be recognizable as a piston. I have seen many engines blow up, but if any time a part of a piston makes it outside of the block, it is only a small part, and would never have enough velocity to do what you have described. (engines and air compressors work almost exactly the same, short of the engine burning fuel to create pressure). I believe something blew up, but I don't believe it would have been a projectile piston. However, that being said, this should be a real lesson about checking into dive operations beforehand. Something as simple as a failing compressor (still pumps air.... and oil) can be deadly. I wish you safe diving in the future!

If a piston were somehow able to make an exit from the compressor, at this point, it would certainly not be recognizable as a piston. I have seen many engines blow up, but if any time a part of a piston makes it outside of the block, it is only a small part, and would never have enough velocity to do what you have described. (engines and air compressors work almost exactly the same, short of the engine burning fuel to create pressure). I believe something blew up, but I don't believe it would have been a projectile piston. However, that being said, this should be a real lesson about checking into dive operations beforehand. Something as simple as a failing compressor (still pumps air.... and oil) can be deadly. I wish you safe diving in the future!

I recall that I have seen compressor running with belts complete open (on boats) and children playing close to it. Looks very dangerous for me but seems to be normal in Thailand

While I know very little about air compressors, I do know that at our FD when filling the bottles they get very HOT and will blow if not filled slowly, most DO's fill bottles in cold water so they can fill them quickly, Just a quess but what may have happened is the bottle over heated and blew the top out, this will cause an explosion that sounds like you just died!!!, most bottles that do blow rip out the sides but sometimes they house them in a shroud forcing it out the top,AS I SAID THIS IS JUST A POSSIBILITY, I don't know.

The only two "mishaps" I've ever seen while diving both occurred in Thailand, while diving off of Phuket... on the same dive.

Two Japanese tourists using rented gear, within *minutes* of each other, had stuck inflator valves and made a beeline from 100-130 feet to the surface. Thankfully, nobody wound up bent.

The dive outfit gave both of them brand new BC's as a "gift" when we got back to the shop after the dive.

I travel with my own gear. When I first started, I thought that might be "too picky." After seeing that, I have no plans to change that policy.

I have at least a hundred safe dives in Thailand. I found a good operator in Phuket--Fantasea Divers--and stuck with them. (I don't know if they are still in business.) I did not look for the cheapest operator.

DandyDon:
I've never been to Thailand, but some standards may be different there...?
As a rule of thumb, any place where you can see a family of five on a scooter probably has a more casual attitude towards safety than you are used to.:D

I travel with my own gear. When I first started, I thought that might be "too picky." After seeing that, I have no plans to change that policy.
Yep. My feelings too! I was only concerned about the lack of tank air quality controls, testing, reporting, scrubbing, etc - but now I got that covered - even tho airline luggage charges are becoming challenging, it's worth it. :crafty:
I have at least a hundred safe dives in Thailand. I found a good operator in Phuket--Fantasea Divers--and stuck with them. (I don't know if they are still in business.) I did not look for the cheapest operator.

As a rule of thumb, any place where you can see a family of five on a scooter probably has a more casual attitude towards safety than you are used to.:D
I was being polite. Anytime I leave the oversight of US controls, I become increasingly cynical about safety standards; even in the US, I want my own equipment, I want to look over the compressor, and I will test every tank before I breath it below. Shopping by price first is understandable, but should not be the deciding factor.

I saw the scooter families are up to 4 in Cozumel last month, little kids standing up on the seat between parents, tots held off to the side with one arm. :shocked2:

I am a little skittish writing this after reading this thread, but I'd rather get some feedback from those in the know in Thailand that not.

My fiancé and I have just booked a trip on the Colona VI live-aboard going out of Phuket in December.

Have any of you heard of issues with them at all? I got a good vibe from them when checking them out (not the cheapest, but also not your exclusive prices either) before booking woth them.

If any of you have experience with them, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom