On becoming a Captain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen it happen here in Key West. It's a Russian built glass bottom boat. First, it got a MARAD exemption to run in St. Thomas. Then, they moved it to Key West. Then, it got a 12-pack COI. I don't know how much cash the poor guy poured into it.

Thanks for sharing this info. I read the whole thread, but I didn't see the answer to my question: Can an uninspected vessel be "converted" to an inspected vessel, in order to allow a captain with a Master License to carry more than 6 paying passengers?

Pretty difficult. The regs for "inspected vessel" are based on how the boat was built, typically to pre-approved plans, including scantlings, stability, watertight subdivision (i.e. collision bulkhead and maybe a watertight bulkhead for the steering compartment). Really hard and cost-prohibitive to retro-fit these things.

One thing I wouldn't do is buy a boat in hopes it could "become an Inspected Vessel" based on future work. It's like marrying someone with the expectation you can change them to suit not just you, but also some other bureaucratically demanding person too..

I am working towards a captains license here in Canada. The process here is you require a Candidate Document Number ( CDN ) and a book issued by Transport Canada to record sea time in. I am working as a deck hand with a dive operator to build my time, and get experience handling the boat. In the spring I hope to be taking the MED, Marine Emergency Duties, course which is required, plus the medical. After that it is a matter of the operator I am working for thinking my skills and experience are such I am a safe captain and can take the transport Canada test.

On colour blindness, which I have, I have not done the marine medical yet, however I do hold my private pilots license and required a medical for that. I cannot pass the test they give you with the various dots and you should see shapes based on your colour issues, ( can't remember name of this test.) Based on that it is determined I am not fully colour blind but have a colour deficiency and I am unable to achieve a commercial rating for flying. I am however still able to achieve my private medical, and have a night rating as I can pass other tests such as the Farnsworth. In talking with the Transport Canada medical examiner they indicated that I should not have an issue passing the marine medical if I have passed a medical for aviation, as the marine medical is not as stringent. I also had to pass a medical, including colour test, for my job and had no issue there either. Just don't ask me to help choose between the 47 different "blues" in the house paint section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom