OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remora

Reaction score
Hey Folks

We have had some disturbing incidents of OMS tanks pitting under the tank boot. Yes I realize this is probably the most overlooked piece of gear as far as rinsing goes, but there seems to be a rash of this happening. These tanks are ultrasonically tested and epoxy coated both on the inside and out but it seems that the salt is getting under the tank finish and causing undue pitting.

I was just wondering if this had come to light elsewhere.

Remora,

I have an OMS LP 98 -- I've only used it for about 10 dives and I admit, I have yet to take the boot off to clean it. In fact, I need some suggestions on how to get the boot off......

Tell me more about the "pitting" you talk about -- what does this look like and how many dives before this problem starts to occur?

Hi Remora, I have my 98's dbled up and so far have not had a problem. A friend of mine bought hers a year before me and only one of the tanks had a problem. OMS said they had two bad batches that this has happened to. I think they were both in 97. I have a 125 and a 46 and they are both ok also. I might not be having problems as most of my dives are fresh water. When I vis the tanks I make sure that the boot comes off, and I double check the bottoms. Drilling some more holes in the boot will help with water drainage, I haven't done this yet but will be this year.
DSAO
o2diver

All tanks,

GUE/DIR recommends that the boots on all tanks be removed and disgarded for this very reason. Also tank bands need to be removed and inspected underneath on a regular basis for corrosion problems on the tanks regardless of manufacturer or material (steel or Al)

More and more of the DIR principals keep coming up in our conversations.

ID

This just came up on the techdiver.com mailing list (not aquanaut's). The OMS tanks are made by Faber and because they are not hot dipped galvanized by sprayed, they tend to rust quicked once a chip in the paint happens.

To take the boots off, you can use a rubber malet and a screw driver.

Eric

Hi Guys

It seems that 131's have the most reported cases of premature pitting. Although DIR advocates no boots and such I prefer (as do most divers) to be able to stand these puppies up for short periods of time. All tank manufacturers advocate boot/band removal after "every" dive which for most is a royal pain. I would not recommend the screw driver but a rubber mallet and short piece of 2x4 or 2x2. This allows for no scratching of the tank and a bit of a lip to apply force. Also it is beneficial to sit the tank in some warm water first.

I have owned a number of steels in my day and yet to run across this in such a short period of time. perhaps the non dipping is the root of the problem, but one would think the epoxy coating would suffice.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom