OMS Wide Eyes mask vs Cressi Big Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW- Those masks are ridiculously close! I've got the big eyes and absolutley love it.

If the OMS is anything like the Cressi big eyes, try it before you buy it. It's got great field of vision, but about half the people I know that have tried it, including me, it's leaked. So it seems to fit only a certain type of face. Too bad because I liked it when it wasn't full of water ( about 45 seconds at a time! )

and occasionally at... the Cressi Big Eyes mask. It is the only mask I dive with these days because, as a videographer, it gives me far better visual contact with the underwater world.

I, too, have found that it frequently leaks, sometimes for absolutely no apparent reason. It will be fine for 40 minutes and then keep leaking for the last part of the dive.

One thing that has helped minimize leakage for me is to wear the strap UNDER my hood rather than on top of it. When my mask is set up that way, I have far fewer problems. Seems to be a problem with the seals at the edge of the mask.

Another problem I've noted is that the strap locking mechanism partially failed on mine about two months ago. It still seems to work, but it is not as secure.

I'd buy another one as backup if I needed it (I have half a dozen masks already).

Dr. Bill

try the Mares X-vision. It has a slightly different shape with comparable field of vision. I love mine. No leaks.

I have a Cressi Big Eyes, love it and hate it. Like drbill said I'll be diving with it for half the dive just fine and the other half, I can't stop it from leaking.

buff once bubbled...
They have to be ...

Or pretty darn close.

Let me guess....the OMS costs $17.00 bucks more?

Actually, quite the opposite, I got them about $15 cheaper than Cressi, and it came with the plastic protective box too.

I can't say that I really really love this mask, but that's all I’ve been using exclusively and it does the job. The only minor problem is that if you wear a hood, it's a little bit pain the neck to make sure the skirt is under the hood so that it doesn't leak. But once you got that squared away, its a fine mask - doesn’t leak, doesn’t fog, good vision view. I haven't decided, however, if I like the clear masks or the black masks... this one is clear.

It's close, but it's not quite the same as the Big Eyes.
I second the comments on the X-vision... both of my Big Eyes are now relegated to backup duty, and when I get the urge to buy another Mares, they're both in the junk pile.

I was happy with them... same as above comments... fine for one dive, major leaker on the next, but the nose pocket has a funny angle that pressed upwards on the end of my nose making it a bit sore. The X-Vision fits wonderfully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom