OMS vs. Dive Rite valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an H-valve for my AL80 now, and then down the road use it with a manifold for doubles (baby steps ;-). My LDS has an OMS valve in stock which he says he uses and prefers because it has a captured O-ring. He can also order the Dive Rite valve. The only posts I've seen regarding this say to avoid the OMS valve, and I'm curious as to why.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've taken a look at the OMS manifold, but the last I heard the following things were wrong with it:

The isolator part is "fixed" on the OMS. The Sea Elite (Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, Halcyon) can spin if you were to hit it on a ceiling without losing it's seal. The only thing that will happen is that both sides of the manifold will tighten or loosen, but the seal will won't be affected (I believe they call this a barrel O-ring design). If you hit the OMS isolator, one side will loosen and the other will tighten, thereby disrupting one of the seals -- face seal design. Sometimes, however, the OMS isolator won't move at all if hit and could break the knob right off. The OMS will only fit one way and has little or no adjustments due it having face seals.

Simply put, the Dive Rite/Sea Elite (these are all basically the same valve) are much more forgiving than the OMS. OMS doesn't have a problem creating a following for their equipment (mostly gimmicks, IMO :wink:), but I suspect your dive shop guy is trying to sell an in-stock item. I recommend the Dive Rite, Sea Elite, Halcyon, or Scuba Pro valves/manifolds.

Take care.

Mike

Ditto what LY said, the OMS valve uses facing O rings like a DIN valve. You can recognize a facing O ring by the "tapered" look from the isolator outward.

If you’re thinking of eventually going to manifolded doubles, you can’t beat the price on the SeaElite package from Diver’s Supply (http://www.divers-supply.com/). They don’t have it on their web page but they have a doubles manifold with the outboard H valve so you can go back and forth for about $200.

And the SeaElites come with the rubber “Sherwood” knobs now and for an extra $10 or so they’ll ship the manifold to you ready for oxygen service.

Call Diver’s Supply and ask for their catalog. Just say no to the OMS valve.

Roak

I can't believe this I'm almost going to agree with LY again.. whats this world comming to..

If you plan on moving up to doubles the dive rite version is a much better way to go, but.. I prefer the OMS valves when used as an H-valve. The diverite valves are very low profile and in an h configuration the regs are right next to each other, the OMS valves give a bit more spacing..

I have used diverite, genesis, oms, and sherwood manifolds each have their own pluses and minuses.. I still have an old sherwood manifold in use it has the same type of "face" oring (except its on the isolator not valve face) and have never had any tbls with it and I have hit it on occasion (once with a scooter when I misjudged an overhang) over the 13 or so years I have been using it.

A few people I know use the OMS valves with a remote shut off (some people have tbl reaching the isolator easily when in HEAVY undergarments (thinsulate) when using a drysuit),I stopped using thinsulate undergarments for the same reason they restricted movement too much, the valve on the isolation is pointed down and there is no chance for it to get damaged.

Just my .02 cents

I own two OMS "K" valves.
I do not like them.
They are hard to shut off completely and hard to open. Shop rats frequently think they have 'em shut off after filling but they aren't, so the tanks have to be topped at the last minute.
If these are the same valves OMS uses in their manifolded setup they would be unsatisfactory to me.
I won't buy 'em again.
Rick

Don't bother with the H-valve setup. It sounds like a good idea but in practice it is a poor subsitute. The dive Rite H-valve sits lower and closer to the tank neck causing hose routing problems. Also the setup needs to be adjusted or changed when you switch between the right and left valves. I went this way for about a year. It was a pain in the ass. My H valves have been sitting in a box for a number of years now. If I find them again I will sell em.

Just bite the bullet and get the manifold with the isolator at one time, not in seperate parts (poor decision again) and the plugs so you can put em on singles.

omar

I agree with Omar (to a point) that H-valves are a poor substitute for a manifold. I use a DIN H-valve on my single tank (LP95) which I often use in very cold water where isolation may be convenient.
The H-valve also allows me to use the exact same regs and configuration regardless if I'm diving doubles or my single. In other words, I don't have to monkey with my regs to dive with my single tank. An H-valve doesn't give you the go ahead to do significant penetration or other serious diving, IMO.

Take care.

Mike

I use an "H" valve when diving below 100' in open water or in wrecks or caverns or anywhere else I want regulator redundancy and my plan doesn't call for doubles. In fact, I never mess with doubles unless the dive plan dictates it.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom