OMS Vega versus Raider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I noticed one thing AAA versus CR-123A battery

That's a tuffy :-( On the one hand the Raider line has been around longer I think, but the OMS Vega uses CR123's, which I'm a big fan of.

I'd have to dog out the spec's, but I believe that you can draw more current from the CR123A's than the AAA's, which *may* let you use a brighter bulb. Of course, if you're using LEDs, that won't matter quite as much.

The CR123A is used in *lots* of "high-performance" portable lighting applications these days. Check out the lights from SureFire Flashlights & Tactical Lights. I have a few of these, both Halogen (65 or 120 lumen) and LED (80 lumen) and these are fantastic. My law enforcement friends swear by these and the new Streamlights (Streamlight - Flashlights: Stinger, Survivor, Litebox, Fire Vulcan, Propolymer, Twin-Task, Tactical).

If either of these companies made a dive light, I'd be there so fast...

(Since they don't, I'm looking at the Raider + lightsock, myself, for Xmas.)

Personally, I prefer the AAA, because I already have AAA reachargeable.

But I could get CR-123A rechargeables.... (Can I?)

I own both lights so I hope this helps.

First off without a doubt the Vega is a much better crafted and more robust product. Super solid, never a flicker and the anodized finish looks perfect after 100+ dives. I like the fact that is very small (a good thing about the CR batteries), although some find in too small in their hands. As I "use" mine as back-up, for me smallish is better.

The Raider is brighter and in a dark cave that is not a bad thing. While not as bright as 10watt HID, it is extremely respectable and the 3AA batteries provide long life. Mine has flickered quite abit (a common problem with at least some of the Oxycheq Raiders) and at depth it has sometimes gone on. Is is quite a bitter thicker, but it does feel good in your hand. The black powder coat finish(?) is more susceptible to scratches. Mine flooded in a cave last month, possible the victim of trying to keep it from flickering during lights out drills - I have sent it in for warranty repairs.

As I back-up I like the Vega as it is just a more robust product; if you plan to frequently use the light, the brightness of the Raider is attractive but not totally compelling.

I think some of the newer Oxycheq products which use either the CR 123 or rechargeable batteries are quite a step up.

Vega:

OMS Vega 3W LED Flashlight - 2 light package [L191] - $99.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I saw this special 2 lights for $99.00. And I was about to buy the Raider with the CREE LED.

So anyone seen the Vega next to the Raider to give feedback?

Raider:
Oxycheq Raider I R-2 3 Watt Back Up Torch with Light Sock [raidersock] - $79.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Last edited:
kidsdream, that is pretty much exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get. Thanks for taking the time to post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom