Need a light, but on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have played around with a wide variety of hand-held lights, and as much as it irks me to say it, I keep coming back to the idea that the recommendation for a 3 C-cell, twist-on light has some very sound reasons behind it.

Why does it irk you to say that?

Sometimes "doing it right" is the "right way to do it."

:)

Don't be scared off by the "strange CR123A batteries." These are quite available, but expensive. The good news is they have a 10 year shelf life. The trade off is you get a lot of power for the money.

Most tactical (police, military) compact lights use these batteries.

Look also at the OMS Vega K2 (or non K2) if you can get over the battery thing.

Don't be scared off by the "strange CR123A batteries." These are quite available, but expensive. The good news is they have a 10 year shelf life. The trade off is you get a lot of power for the money.

Most tactical (police, military) compact lights use these batteries.

Look also at the OMS Vega K2 (or non K2) if you can get over the battery thing.

The military and police operate on large budgets and are not worried about battery prices. Also they probably buy their batteries in bulk.

Adam

The military and police operate on large budgets and are not worried about battery prices. Also they probably buy their batteries in bulk.

Adam

If someone's worried about the minor difference in price between good C-cell batteries and CR123A batteries, maybe scuba diving isn't the right sport for them.

:D

If someone's worried about the minor difference in price between good C-cell batteries and CR123A batteries, maybe scuba diving isn't the right sport for them.

I think that's a little unfair. Our local Radio Shack charges $12 for a pair of CR123 batteries, and so far, it seems like my Oxycheq backup light eats them . . . If I leave the batteries in it, they only last a week or two. $12 a week for batteries annoys me . . . wouldn't it annoy you?

I think that's a little unfair. Our local Radio Shack charges $12 for a pair of CR123 batteries, and so far, it seems like my Oxycheq backup light eats them . . . If I leave the batteries in it, they only last a week or two. $12 a week for batteries annoys me . . . wouldn't it annoy you?

I don't know how many times I have posted links to cheap batteries but they can be found from $1 to $1.50 very easy. Paying $12 is just not smart and if the Oxycheq is using up batteries when you are not using it then it is even more worthless than I thought it was.

Cheap batteries

Last edited:
Our local Radio Shack charges $12 for a pair of CR123 batteries, and so far, it seems like my Oxycheq backup light eats them .

I have used Surefire lithium 123A batteries for years in my job as a fireman. They are $21 for 12 and can be bought direct from Surefire.

SureFire Lithium Batteries - Box of 12 SureFire Lithium Batteries

they can be found from $1 to $1.50 very easy.
CPF and KF Members Only Specials Page

My experience has been the same - $1 - $1.50 per battery.

If I leave the batteries in it, they only last a week or two. $12 a week for batteries annoys me . . . wouldn't it annoy you?

For sure that would annoy me, which is a part of why I agree with your earlier statement that the best backup light is probably a 3 C-cell LED light...

10.100.103-2.jpg

Salvo Rat Light 3 Watt LED $150 shipped from DiveSeekers.com 1-888-SCUBA-47

For what you're looking at doing, I say it's hard to beat either the Sartek rechargeable EBL220 or UK's new Super Q LED.

I have a UK Q40 eLED+ that I use as a backup for caving(and will use it for diving in the tropics IF I ever make it down there again...my 12w Salvo would be a little obnoxious for night dives there :) ) and it's honestly a very good light. I also own an OMS Vega(older version, non K2) but if I were to buy another backup light right now it'd probably be another UK Q40 eLED. It's cheap, reliable as any, good burn-time and just about as bright as my Vega. That's why I think the Super Q would be a good light for you.....good company, good product, it's the Super Q is very bright for its size and rechargeable, and leaves you left over money to go buy TWO UK Q40's as backups, or even another Super Q and still be under $200. These would all be small, handy dandy lights.

Since there's a new generation of LED's being put out on the market, you could also pick up a pre-2009 Princeton Tec Shockwave/Miniwave for pretty cheap, or many different combos of Princeton Tec Shockwaves(new or old), UK C4 eLED's, or UK Super Q lights for under $200. Pistol grip lights are a pain in the ass to multitask with, however, and I found them quite annoying underwater so put that in your brain housing group for future reference. The first time I tried a can light I was hooked like a fat kid loves cake. Convienience/ease of use goes a long way over paper schematics of rated performance when you're multi-tasking. In my case, that's running lines. In others it's spearfishing. If you don't really ever run guidelines or spearfish or something, then the Shockwave/Miniwave and UK C4/C8 LED's deserve a hard look.

I wouldn't even consider the Salvo Rat or Halcyon Scout lines for your purposes. They're not bad lights, but there's definitely better for less $$.

Let us know what you choose!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom