OMS Vega 3W backup review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased the OMS Vaga 3W backup light a couple months ago.

Build Quality
------------
The first light I received from ScubaToys had two springs in the head. This design is a problem. I had to screw around with the springs to get the light to work. I asked ST to replace the light, and they did. The second light I received had only one spring. This works.

The overall build quality is excellent. The alum casing is done well, and the light is solid.

Some folks may not like the screw down activation, but IMO this is not an issue. The duel oring design is very solid. While a switch maybe nice, one could argue that is a failure point. The only issue with this design is when one uses rechargeable batteries.

Battery Life
------------
OMS advertises 1 hour at 100%, and several hours afterward as the battery dies. My experience backs this up.

Based on what I've seen.
Rechargeable 900 mAH batteries - 50~55 minutes. Note: when these die, they do so without warning.
High End 1500mAH non-rechargeable - 60~90minutes full, and then several hours as power diminishes.

This light takes 2 CR123 batteries. These batteries are becoming popular, but are still VERY expensive if you purchase them at Safeway for example. I've seen ONE battery sell for $15. That would make this light impossible to use at $30 for a one hour at full charge. If you can't find these batteries locally at a fair price, they are available online about about a buck a piece.

I purchased two sets of rechargeable LIon batteries. Unfortunately the RCR123 batteries have a slightly different form factor vs. the non-rechargeable models (WT??)

This results in a slightly longer battery set. The end result is that one can NOT use this as a primary light with rechargeable batteries unless you want to turn the light on prior to the dive. This is because the longer batteries (rechargeable) result in the second ORing being exposed if the light is off. So one has too turn the light on prior to getting wet, and then off again once out of the water, assuming it is still burning based on the dive duration.

Output
-------
The light output is VERY impressive from this tiny light. I measured it against my Sartek 10W HID, and it definitely puts out the advertised 90 lumen's.

I measured this with my flash meter, so this is not a subjective evaluation. This thing produces about 90 lumens which is VERY impressive for a light this size.

Overall Impressions
------------------
I'm impressed. This is ONE Bright Light! The size is small, and the output is BIG! The main drawback I have is the fact one can not really use this as a primary light with rechargeable batteries. Since it is designed as a backup, that is really not a dig, but it would be nice to use rechargeable batteries and use this as a primary light for rec diving.

Does it match my 10W HID.... no Way! But it does produce some serious output for such a small form factor.

The good news is that it can be used as a primary light for rec diving using the CR123 batteries. This light outperforms a LOT of the primary rec diving lights sold in the sub $100 range.

If you are looking for an inexpensive backup light, Consider the OMS Vega!

Thanks for the review!

Regarding being able to use rechargables: I'm going to use their "headgear" version of this light, and I ordred CR123A NiMH rechargables... you can get a set of 4 batts and a charger for $30 at all-batteries. They're around 1 aH, not that powerful, but the ability to get rechargables in that size is definitely doable. FYI!

Thanks for the review!

Regarding being able to use rechargables: I'm going to use their "headgear" version of this light, and I ordred CR123A NiMH rechargables... you can get a set of 4 batts and a charger for $30 at all-batteries. They're around 1 aH, not that powerful, but the ability to get rechargables in that size is definitely doable. FYI!

I've not seen any NIMH CR123 rechargeable batteries? The rechargeable RCR123's that I purchased from all-batteries were Li-ion. These are slightly longer than the non-rechargable version which is why they result in the OMS Vega not allowing them to be used as a primary battery unless one turns on the light prior to a dive.

They are 900mAH, so don't have the burn time of the non-rechargeable version, but I use this light topside with the rechargeable, and it works very well.

Please post when you get the headlamp version of this light. I am particularly interested in knowing if it heats up when used topside. I have found that the Vega get's rather hot when used topside, so I monitor this. Overheating the LED is a bad idea.

Oh yeah, sorry, I did order the Li-ion batts. The light, and the batts, have the same model number... so the rechargables are a little longer than the non? I didn't know that, I may have wasted $30!

I'll post back on a review of the 3W headlamp, I have a UK C4 LED, which is the same wattage supposedly.

On the heat, I'll have to try it out, however it's *supposed* to be ok, they advertise it for use on a bicycle helmet, so it'd be a problem if it overheated for sure.

Yeah, the rechargeable version is flush on the bottom, so not even 1mm longer. This is enough to result in the Vega in the off position to extend past the second oring.

Another issue is the burn time. Li-Ion rechargeable batteries are full on, 100%.. until they die. At 900mAH that gives one less than an hour of burn time with the Vega. Actually almost exactly 55 minutes.

All this is really not an issue for me. Around the house I use the rechargeable batteries. When I dive I use the non-rechargeable version, but since this is a backup, I don't generally even turn it on.

You will not regret getting rechargeable batteries, even with their shot-comings. They are not the best for UW, but topside, they come in handy, and I think you will find that the output from these lights is VERY useful around the home, or camping, whatever.

This light puts my old headlamp 3LED light in the toilet! LED is just going to get better and better.

I am confused about the two spring-one spring issue. Is this a design change? Should this be specified if ordering one?

I am confused about the two spring-one spring issue. Is this a design change? Should this be specified if ordering one?

I assume OMS changed the design at some point.

I would assume fresh stock would come with the new design, assuming that IS the new design! :D

I'll try and do a review, but I got the OMS headband/goodman light based on the same head, and I have been very happy with it.

I was able to use rechargables in mine, the 2nd o-ring isn't visible while it's off, and when it's on, the cap is almost against the main body. The body is a plastic degisn different than the Vega, so that's probably why the rechargables worked in my case. I can confirm the rechargables are very slightly longer, so YMMW on those, as Ron posted.

It had a softer, less focused, but more symmetric beam as compared to my UK C4 eLED, however I am liking the slight halo the light produces, but will have a better review after my cavern class this weekend.

I'll try and do a review, but I got the OMS headband/goodman light based on the same head, and I have been very happy with it.

I was able to use rechargables in mine, the 2nd o-ring isn't visible while it's off, and when it's on, the cap is almost against the main body. The body is a plastic degisn different than the Vega, so that's probably why the rechargables worked in my case. I can confirm the rechargables are very slightly longer, so YMMW on those, as Ron posted.

It had a softer, less focused, but more symmetric beam as compared to my UK C4 eLED, however I am liking the slight halo the light produces, but will have a better review after my cavern class this weekend.

Look forward to reading your review, I have the oxycheq/solus back up which Im very happy with but was looking for a 3rd for no real reason other than to have one and was thinking the OMS Headlamp might be the one as its so small and light that I could use it on my hand during day dives and not even notice it was there until i needed it, it would be easier than fishing one out of my pocket repeatedly during the dive...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom