OMS Slipstream sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just saw your other post. So I guess the pocket is the main difference for choosing eddy over slipstream?

A couple of reasons...

1.) Yes, the foot pocket is a huge factor, it was actually designed for a human foot, not a square lego block like most other tech fins. Specific to the slipstream, when I look at it from the top, the foot pocket on the OMS actually gets wider, and even a little thicker, as you descent into it, which makes no sense and I believe this is the main reason the 'neck' of the fin started to develop a crease in the middle across the top, because the material is collapsing under the pressure of the bulbous foot pocket.

2.) The retaining pins for the spring strap are made out of 316 grade stainless, so they will last longer than most others, and they have two attachment points on each side of the fin, for 4 total (definitely more durable and stable). A lot of other fins just use squeeze on clamps, which won't last as long, and aren't as stable.

3.) The Eddy comes with spring straps as standard, both with a rubberized pull tab, and webbing you can cover the strap with instead, you get to make a choice as to your own style.

4.) The molded material is really light weight, I think I weighed my mine and they come in around 2100g each. I really wanted a neutrally buoyant fin for both wet and dry diving.

5.) The fin has a good surface area ratio for its density and size. You can find some pics on here or the FB page where the fin is compared to several other tech fins.

6.) The orange has really grown on me, so I actually really like diving with the orange fins. They are a good conversation starter on the boat it seems.

If you don't like orange though we do make them in black, and white is soon to come as well.

Full disclosure, I do work for Deep 6, just going to put that out there. I also do, or did, like my slipstreams, except for the crease they developed which pressed on the bridge of my foot, and before I got the slipstreams I went through 3-4 other tech fins that didn't really do what I wanted, and the slipstream did.

Initially I thought the OMS Slipstream was going to be the fin I kept. However, when the D6 Eddy came out I settled on it because it really is a better choice in my view, for several of the reasons stated above, and some others I'm sure I am forgetting. In the end its up to you as to what you want to get, but the good thing about fins in general is they aren't that expensive (ours are $100, spring straps included) so you can switch if they don't work out. I mean, I hope you buy from us, but thats just my thoughts. :)

Hope this helps,
Landon

I wear a women's size 9 shoe/ boot (About a size 7 men's). I will typically wear a men's size 9 wetsuit boots over my drysuit socks. I tried an XL OMS Slipstream & it was flopping all over the place. I just got a large & out of the water, seems to fit better (haven't gotten it in the water yet). I typically wear a Regular size Hollis F1 Batfin.

OK I heard back from Pete Nawrocky, OMS Sales Manager:

"The sizing is very similar, not exact but close. The foot pockets are shaped differently. But it would be safe to say XL Jet is XL Slipstream. Slipstream weighs less and are less expensive"

Hope this helps. If you need anything please let us know.

OK I heard back from Pete Nawrocky, OMS Sales Manager:

"The sizing is very similar, not exact but close. The foot pockets are shaped differently. But it would be safe to say XL Jet is XL Slipstream. Slipstream weighs less and are less expensive"

Hope this helps. If you need anything please let us know.

+1 This is my experience. I use the XL Slipstreams with both wet and dry boots. With Jets I have to have slightly longer springs for the dry boots as the foot pocket is slightly different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom