Oms Iq Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zmanzimp

Reaction score
what are your opinions of OMS products, namely their bcs and harness systems? I am looking at the oms Iq harness and am wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with them. how is oms compared to dui/dive-rite/halcyon/etc.? thanks, zach

OMS packs are not DIR whether you use a BP or the pack. They are basically a copy of Dive Rites Transpac which is also NOT DIR. Love my Transpac anyway. The plastic quick releases are considered failure points by DIR standards. Zak, if your trying to be DIR equipment savy, then stay away and buy a BP/wing. If you don't care, then buy one of the pack systems on the market. They are all decent gear. Some more pricey than others.

zmanzimp:
what are your opinions of OMS products, namely their bcs and harness systems? I am looking at the oms Iq harness and am wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with them. how is oms compared to dui/dive-rite/halcyon/etc.? thanks, zach

OMS makes good quality equipment that ranges from recreational to technical. The IQ harness is more a crossover from the tech to rec category. It takes some of the principles from a technical rig and makes them more diver friendly for the recreational diver.

I dive an OMS SS bp with a variety of their wings. I don't buy their bungeed wings, but I do like the versions without bungees. I opt for their shorter inflator hose as well. There aren't any huge differences in backplates from one company to another. A basic harness is just webbing with SS d-rings. Again, no big difference here. Dive Rite and OMS offer variations of the basic harness that incorporate quick disconnects to make the rig easier to get in and out of while wearing a drysuit with arm dumps. They also make it easy to switch between different thickness wet and drysuit options since you can cinch the shoulders down. These delrin clips are considered failure points, but offer convenience for the minor tradeoff.

The IQ and TransPac offer more comfort over a bp, but you loose some stability compared to a bp. The comfort is somewhat debateble once you dive both, since most feel a bp is very comfortable without the padding. These rigs are not set up for diving doubles and would not offer the neccessary lateral support.

You have to decide if you are DIR, not DIR, or take some of the DIR concepts and work them into your rig. I opt for the latter of these three for now, but I am gradually working toward the first as my diving experience and goals grow.

My rig:

OMS SS Backplate
OMS Comfort Harness
OMS non bungee wings (single tank and dual tank)
Halcyon trim weight pockets

This setup works for me and I'm very happy with the quality. My max dives are to 185' with short wreck penetrations and short deco obligations.

I'm not trying to persuade you either way, just give you my two cents.

I have almost 100 dives on my IQ Pak that I purchased used from Ebay about two years ago. I started out with a 100lb wing and then replaced it with a 45lb wing from Oxycheq. It's a great combination!. Very comfortable for shore dives since you have a little more padding. The only thing I don't like about the IQ is the version I have has the attached weight pockets which I can't remove. If you get an IQ pak, make sure you get the latest version.

AquaGuy:
I have almost 100 dives on my IQ Pak that I purchased used from Ebay about two years ago. I started out with a 100lb wing and then replaced it with a 45lb wing from Oxycheq. It's a great combination!. Very comfortable for shore dives since you have a little more padding. The only thing I don't like about the IQ is the version I have has the attached weight pockets which I can't remove. If you get an IQ pak, make sure you get the latest version.
Seeing that the question was posed in the DIR forum, why the replies from non DIR divers? Quick releases, Transpac, etc. are not DIR. Take a Fundies course and ask your instructor these questions. If you want non DIR answers, post this thread in other forums. Same for answers.

jjsteffen:
Seeing that the question was posed in the DIR forum, why the replies from non DIR divers? Quick releases, Transpac, etc. are not DIR. Take a Fundies course and ask your instructor these questions. If you want non DIR answers, post this thread in other forums. Same for answers.

jjsteffen,

DIR divers, Non DIR divers, DIR divers to be, divers who learn from DIR divers, or whatever kind of diver one labels themselves all have the right to post in any forum on this board they choose to. Since when does one need to take a class before they can ask a question on this public forum? Grow up. No one bashed anything here but you.

jjsteffen:

With the exception of some select forums such as Instructor to Instructor All forums on the SB are open to all members for them to post their questions and /or opinions.

Actually, you might want to read Pete's sticky at the top of this forum...

One part I would like to quote:
6) The questions in this forum are mainly directed towards DIR divers and gurus. If you are not one of these, then PLEASE limit your participation in this forum to mostly asking questions. If they wanted to know how non-DIR people do it, then it would have been posted in another forum.

LUBOLD8431:
Actually, you might want to read Pete's sticky at the top of this forum...

One part I would like to quote:

Does this mean one must be 100% DIR to give an opinion? If that's the case, then most people that reply in this forum should never be allowed to type on their keyboards and hit the send button. The mentality that if your not 100% DIR, then you shouldn't be able to have an opinion is a dangerous road. You tend to alienate those such as myself that agree with the DIR philosophy, but have opted to adapt to certain aspects of it over time. My response was a balanced one from someone who is working on the DIR fundamentals.

Hey, dont shoot the messenger. For clarification, please read NetDoc's ENTIRE post (its a sticky at the top of this forum).

THis is not a place to argue about what is or what isnt DIR. Its for people to ask about a certain topic, and get a DIR answer...

There are TONS of other places on this board to express your opinion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom