OMS H-valve burst disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering why OMS' H-valve is not compatible with an HP 3400 psi tank because of the burst disk rating. The OMS website says a service psi of 3500 & a rupture PSI of 5800. Does it seem odd to anyone that this valve's disc would not allow for the DOTs +10% overfill allowance rule? Thank you.

OMS HP tanks are rated for 3442 PSI, no overfill

Well, the tank is a worthington. The HP is 3442 as you said. The question is in regards to the burst disc rating being too low for DOTs 10%. ie 10% of 3442 is 34 so 3476 is too close to the 3500 rating and an LDS would consider it too close to the margin to fill.

10% of 3442 is 344.2, a 10% overfill would be 3786 PSI
Is there a + on the hydro? I don't think there is

Most HP tanks (above 3400). do not have a + rating, meaning they are not eligable for the 10% overfill. The only HP tank I know of is a batch of Fabers that are rated for 3180 which puts it at 3498, and I would not worry about that with a 3400psi burst disk, but I thought those came with 3442 bust disks.

rmannix:
10% of 3442 is 344.2, a 10% overfill would be 3786 PSI
Is there a + on the hydro? I don't think there is

Well that answers that...duu. This makes sense.

Thanks rmanix.

FFMDiver:
Well, the tank is a worthington. The HP is 3442 as you said. The question is in regards to the burst disc rating being too low for DOTs 10%. ie 10% of 3442 is 34 so 3476 is too close to the 3500 rating and an LDS would consider it too close to the margin to fill.

The burst disc rating of a Worthington 3442 cylinder is 5250 PSI.
Burst disc requirements are a fuction of hydro pressure NOT tank pressure.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom