Omni swivel - yeah or nah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been playing around a bit with a new to me set of Poseidon X-tremes. Just not overly pleased with how they are sitting (bungied octo is "okay", but I think I need a shorter hose), the long hose in particular. With my height, a 7' hose is almost marginal, so I need some type of angle/swivel to have it fit (I'm 6'-7"). Tried two different fixed angle swivels and the "clunky" pivoting one from CA and just not pleased. I know there is such an urban legend due to the old style ball swivels, but wondering who might use the Omni and their thoughts...

Or, maybe consider something else?

TIA

Atomic b2s come with swivels and I used them several hundred dives and never had a problem. Some people do not like swivels as they are another potential failure point and some have completely came apart while diving. I took them off and went with 90's and haven't had any problems but there's also an oring in it with potential for failure of which I've had it happen once. I've heard some speak of the Kirby Morgan swivels, I think they're roughly $30 each. If I remember correctly the omniswivels are @ $90 but that was at a LDS so maybe cheaper online; however if the price is reasonably close to online prices it's great to support your LDS! I don't know much about the omniswivels but have never heard anything negative as far as the quality.

I don't like the omni swivel. I've had two out of three leak on me. :(

I do like the 110 degree elbow though and all my regs have one attached. Never a failure on them. None of those regs are Poseidon though. You can get them from DiveRightInScuba.com for only$12.99: 110 Degree Adapter

dris70degreeadapter.png

Last edited:
I had the CA swivels and got a screaming deal on some Omni's and won't look back. They are SO much nicer. That said, they are not $90 nice imho. If I were to pay full price on omni's, I'd get the ones with the poseidon adapter and OPV built in, it's an extra $15, but it saves a connection and allows you to move the second stages to other firsts without worrying about installing an OPV.

Reactions: Jax
I've had an omni swivel large, dynamic-on-two-sides-held-in-with-a-screw, o-ring failure. I think it's a wrong design that should just be left to die off in the woods where it belongs...

Last edited:
I know there is such an urban legend due to the old style ball swivels, but wondering who might use the Omni and their thoughts...
I have and use a number of Omni brand 360 degree swivels, all purchased in the last 8 years, and I have been quite pleased with them. The urban legend, as far as I can tell, centers around a) older Omni brand swivels that had a design flaw that at times led to failure (and have since been successfully re-designed), and b) non-Omni brand 360 degree swivels that do still fail. So, in terms of reliability, and functionality, my individual experience with Omni brand 360 degree swivels has been excellent. I agree with tbone - they are not inexpensive. But I have found them worth it. Again, that is for me.

I use a couple of 70 degree (aka 110 degree) fixed angle adapters. And, they are OK. They are certainly A LOT less expensive that 360 swivels. I prefer 360s on my SM regs. I use the 70/110s on single cylinder BM regs, on the 40" 'alternate' hose when I use that hose as my primary, routing it under my right arm and up. Nothing wrong with them. I just personally prefer the 360s. Unlike NetDoc, I have not had any trouble with leaks. Maybe, that is just my good luck.

I have two omni swivels and one 'other' brand on an Atomic T2x (I don't know who Atomic uses). I have used the Atomic one for four years and about 200 dives, no issues or leaks and very comfortable. The omni's are about three years old, probably 100 dives each and again no problems. But this is just my experience. - P

I personally don't like the omni swivel for anything that absolutely must work and must put up with bad conditions. The 110* adapter etc work really well though.

I just put a 110* on my primary. Took it to the pool to check out some new gear and work out trim issues. About an hour after going under, the o ring blew out. I'm hoping it was just dried out since it was in 2 pieces when we replaced it. New o-ring in place and we will see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom